MCTC Sound Arts
Unbalanced Lines Are:
- Found on 1/4" TS and RCA connectors
- Used on instruments, consumer equipment
- Less expensive
- Less complicated
- Fine in cable runs up to 18'
Balanced Lines Are:
- Found on 1/4" TRS and XLR connectors
- Never found on RCA connectors
- Used on pro equipment and PAs
- More expensive
- More complicated
- Preferred in noisy environments or cable runs over 18'
To be a balanced connection the line must...
- Come from equipment with balanced outputs
- Go to equipment with balanced inputs
- Be carried through a cable with 3 conductors
- Have correctly wired 3-conductor connectors at each end
- Remain balanced if it passes through any patchbay
Identifying Balanced Connections
Balanced lines are backwards-compatible:
- Unbalanced out >> Balanced in = OK
- Balanced out >> Unbalanced in = NOT OK
Unbalanced or Balanced?