MCTC Sound Arts
The Artiste in the Real World
Mozart's Business Plan
Piano Concerto No. 12 in A (1782)
- Performed January 24, 1975 as a concert-length Improvisation
- 1400+ audience members
- Concert started at 11:30 PM
- Concert promoter was inexperienced (17 years old!)
- Wearing a back brace for significant pain
- No quality sleep in several days
- Did not eat dinner
- Arrived after an exhausting drive
- The piano he had selected to play was not there
- The available piano was small and in bad repair
- The available piano had a thin upper register and weak low register
How might these circumstances limit or undermine the artwork?
How might these circumstances enable or enhance the artwork?
Peter Schickele (aka P.D.Q. Bach)
Penn Jillette, narrator
Text taken from J.S. Bach's surviving letters, in which he complains about not getting paid.
The Artisté in the Real World