Have You Considered Windows?
2020: Year of the Desktop
- No sacrifices for portability
- Customization options
- More power per dollar
You're not going anywhere.
Macs Are Great
Choice Is Great
What are our not-Mac options?
Desktop Hardware For Software
- CPU - More and faster cores = more stuff simultaneously
- Memory - More and faster RAM = more stuff simultaneously
- Dedicated GPU - The big one and the most impactful weakness in laptops. Graphics processing is extremely important for multi-monitor, UI rendering, and video conferencing.
- Cooling - All this heat needs to go somewhere. "LOL my laptop fan is about to lift off."
We operate in a world where huge numbers of open Chrome tabs, IDE files, Docker containers, chat applications all need to run perfectly while ALSO sharing screens and live audio/video.
It's compatible with everything.
And it has real Linux built in.
"Windows Subsystem For Linux"
Microsoft put Ubuntu Linux into Windows to finally provide a "real" command line.
WSL2 means any *nix command that works on a Mac now works on Windows.
You're not here to watch me install stuff,
so just follow this:
Windows Terminal (Preview)
Docker Desktop (edge)
Except host DNS resolution :(
3. Then this powershell script:
1. Edit your hosts file (oldschool)
2. Run this command: netsh http add iplisten 127.0.0.1
Windows For Modern Development
By Christopher Bloom