WHO'S IN IT!
a.k.a., the gits you can blame
- marcoscano (subsystem maintainer)
- seanB (also a subsystem maintainer)
- chr.fritsch (also also a subsystem maintainer)
- samuel.mortenson, sometimes
- slashrsm (unseen presence)
- and ME! (me, me, me...also a subsystem maintainer)
- Alex Pott
- webchick (sometimes, for UI stuff)
Build a solid API for handling media in DrupalDONE!
Support local images and other file typesDONE!
Support remote media, mainly videosDONE!
Build a nice user-facing library for reusing mediaDONE!
- Let users create new media,
local(done!) or remote, from node forms
- Let users embed media into WYSIWYG content
- Add Media to Standard, replacing File and Image modules
WHY WE'RE SO AWESOME
8.4: Stable Media module lands!!! =D
...with no UI
8.5: Media module declared safe for public consumption!!!
...but it has a sad-bastard UI that makes kittens weep
8.6: Experimental media library lands!!!
...with a gorgeous UI!
Also 8.6: oEmbed support lands!!!
...and it fucking works with YouTube out of the box!
8.7: WYSIWYG integration
- Top priority
- Blocker for Media being included in Standard
- Currently Wim and me
- Can maybe get an input filter into core by Christmas
- Hopefully a CKEditor widget/interface in Q1
- Barcelona sprint focus
also 8.7: Add YouTube videos to media library on a node form
- Currently authored by me
- Patch exists, needs review from UX, product managers, and coders
- New feature in an experimental module
- No API changes
- Continuous review = could land by Christmas
8.8: Replace File and Image
- Still no clear plan of action
- A migration path is needed, but what kind?
- How can we deprecate File and Image in 8.8?
- Some UX questions to resolve, because configuring media is relatively complicated
- Until we at least answer these questions, Media cannot be in Standard
this is the part that sucks
- Migration path may be delayed/blocked without WYSIWYG support
- ...which has some technical unknowns (is Entity Embed stable enough for core?)
- ...and no real designs/mockups
- Not enough brainpower (can we just clone Sam)?
- UX resourcing is a bit sketchy
- There are UX/a11y blockers to "Standard-ready" Media, and no clear resourcing to fix them
- Content Moderation support is a nest of invisible dragons
- Contract with Sean in Q1
- Create a coherent plan for UX/a11y blockers
- Create a plan for Content Moderation support
- Get continuous review on external media patch for Media library
- Onboard a new developer to learn the code and supplement the "old guard"
- How 'bout hiring an a11y expert into
- Continue to give us money and send us places
THANK CTHULHU, IT'S OVER!
By Adam G-H