Getting Started With Ember
What Is Ember?
- "A framework for making ambitious web applications"
- "More productive out of the box"
- An MVC framework, I guess
- Not Angular
- Not React
Why Use It?
- Fast development
- No bike-shedding
- Rich ecosystem
- An ember app is an ember app is an ember app
- Best practices are baked in
- It's a lot of fun
- Use it!!!
- Assumes you know promises, modules, and ES2015
- The beating heart of your app development
- Dev Server
- Different array methods
- Computed properties
- Router matches a URL to a route object
- Route object:
- Looks up data
- Sets it on a controller
- Renders a template
- Handles actions
- Use handlebars syntax
- Awesome superset of standard handlebars
- Can use custom helpers
Controllers & Views
- Views are removed in 2.0
- Controllers are deprecated in 2.0, but still invisibly exist
- Views used to turn primitive events into semantic events
- Controllers used to bind data to templates and catch actions
- All of this is handled by components now
- Controller + View + Template === Component
- Isolated functionality- pass data in, pass actions out
- Controller without a template === Service
- Application-wide state and functionality
- Injected into components
- Models are the structure of your data
- Adapters handle access to your server
- Serializers format requests and responses
Let's Build An App!!
Copy of Getting Started With Ember
By Kyle Coberly