- Raw K8s + Helm Charts
- Demo - kQueen
- Demo - CD
Geek. Developer. Ex-IBMer. Vi(m) lover. DevOps/Cloud infrastructure and application architect with the passion for the edge thing. Daily at Mirantis.
Reach me on Twitter or Keybase as @epcim.
Running Kubernetes today? Hosted?
Application | Infrastructure focus?
Ops | Dev's | Decision makers?
What is Kubernetes?
Kubernetes is an open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications.
Stand alone Kubernetes, on-site or distributed as public platforms
UI, Tools to manage, operate, visualize, verify and lifecycle of "Deployments".
Physical infrastructure, Storage, Network. Integration with external services.
ConfigMap, Labels/Selectors, Annotations, Storage classes, ...
Raw K8s experience
Logs & Metrics
Requirements / specs.
- Fully containerized
- On-Premises, no ext. resources
- Minimize # of components used
- Serving 400+ node infrastructure
- Network appliances > in_syslog
- 3.5M~5M docs per hour / 200GB Elastic
- Data storage:
- Graphite *
- Kibana, Grafana
Master chart approach
InfluxDB - wheelhouse
- Lack of CI/CD for Helm deployments at early stages
- Limited K8s native integration (storage, network)
- Helm charts
- Different implementations (upstream, curated)
- Update Charts to be production grade
- Optimize Fluentd and Elastic for high loads
- Buffers, queues, frequency, stability at scale matter
- K8s env. in Lab went down on its knees many many times!
Elasticsearch Helm Chart
- Helm Charts
- node ports :(
- NFS :(
- CI / CD
"opinionated" K8s ecosystem?
- Automated rollouts for apps
- Painless platform upgrades
- Management UI, API, Service discovery
- SDN, SDS
- Metric and Log collection capabilities
- Security, Policies and governance
- Service mash and discovery
Gartner CaaS stack
- Storage, Networking, LB
- Artefact repository
- AAA + IDP Integrations
- Continuous Integrations
- Deployment pipelines, CD
- Log collection
- Sec. Audit
- Overlay networking
- Vendor features lock-in
- Rolling deployments
- CPU, GPU
- IPs, Ports
- Load Balancing
Demo - kQueen
Single Management plane for K8s clusters
- Multi-tenant API + web UI + CLI
- Enable to use multiple provisioners (Kubespray, Heat, GKE)
- Kubernetes itinerary with workload visibility
- Visualisation, management, operation, audit
- Integration into 3rd-party systems
- Pluggable Architecture
- Extension by helm service catalogue (soon)
Demo - Continuous Delivery
Shoot simple app across K8s cluster
Kubernetes as an container manager
Multi cloud application deployment & ops
Role of ops teams evolves from managing the datacenter to helping developers deploy workloads to any cloud
One CI/CD for Dev/Ops/Support
Services in a "big picture"
- Standardization around of service management and cataloguing. (consumption, lifecycle, resource ctl.)
- How do we create consumable services from a bunch of containers?
- Where should rules affecting the behaviors of services reside?
Elasticsearch Helm Chart
What makes K8s a modern infrastracture
By Petr Michalec