how can we increase open and click rates?
What is about:Mozilla?
about:Mozilla is a contributor-led newsletter that contains news and contribution activities.
The team (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Newsletters/about_mozilla_credits) puts out approximately one newsletter every two weeks
Find the Newsletters Here
HTML - 60,124
Open rate - 25.7% (goal 25%) = perfect, good engaged list
Click rate - 3.3% (goal 6%) = can do better, we've got to figure out
the sweet spot of info to get folks to click through.
Deliverability 97.2% = pretty good for not having emailed to this
list in over 6 months
Open: 19.1% = lower than last time. Subject line was significantly longer. Newsletter sent on a Saturday.
Click: 2.8% = also lower than last time, but not terribly so.
Sent: 62,429 = almost 4,000 unsubscribes
Open: 17.5% = much lower than first issue. Long subject line.
Click: 2.9% = stable
What stories are getting the most clicks?
- Easy, direct actions
- Examples: "Join Maker Party!" "Sign this petition!"
- Anything about Firefox
- First stories in list of 3
What stories are getting the least clicks?
- Contributor profiles
- Longer stories
- CTAs that don't have a direct action attached to them
- Newsletters with longer subject lines that include "and more..."
- finding our voice
- better process of sending the newsletter
- including a diverse range of Mozillian voices
- finding contribution activities across MoFo and MoCo
The Less than good
- difficult to find contribution activities because people are not utilizing our process (https://wiki.mozilla.org/About_mozilla/contributions)
- click rate / open rate is going steadily down
- newsletter is not being sent at consistent time every week
- difficult to encourage people to sign up for newsletter (sign up at: http://mozilla.org/contribute)
How we can Increase Click Rates
- there are about 1,000,000 articles online about this very subject
- make things less verbose (shorter. Less academic.)
- Shorter subject lines that include action items.
- Change newsletter name to more descriptive about:Community
- Move contributor profiles to other parts of the newsletter. Profiles give an international feel to the newsletter
How can you help about:Mozilla
- if you know of a contribution activity, please enter it in the form (https://wiki.mozilla.org/About_mozilla/contributions)
- volunteer to help! We'd love to have you!
- Sign up for the newsletter and open and read it. Click on the links
- Give feedback on individual stories and click through actions
Here's a blog post to read about the newsletter
Get in Touch!