of General Education Systems
to overcome them
|Part 1(a)||Drawbacks of General Education Systems|
|Part 1(b)||Some Trends to overcome these drawbacks|
|Part 2||How Jewish Educational elements fit into the picture, for Gentiles and Jews|
|Part 3||The future of Education|
of these slides
- Finished High School in the top 1% of NSW, Australia
- Completed a combined Law & Engineering Degree in the University of NSW
- Worked in the Consulting, Construction and IT industries over the last 15 years.
that are readily out there, as quick online search will confirm.
These slides are based on
I'm just putting them into
Essential Vs. Academic
- School teaches essential skills children need in their everyday life.
- But somewhere there's a transition into academics --
- Such knowledge and skills believed to
- Increase employability
- Open many doors
- Enable survival in our advanced and competitive world
Actually, there's a huge
between the skills produced by schools and universities
and what the relevant industries really need.
University Graduates are pretty much
when they enter the workforce.
that's moving faster and faster and across more and more industries.
What you studied so hard for today may well be obsolete tomorrow.
Industry-valued knowledge & skills are a
Change Your Mind
during your teens and also later, about what you actually want to do for a living.
You'd then end up practicing something different from what you've studied for.
You are likely to
Success has no relationship with excellence at school or Uni.
Graduating with flying colors may earn a placement in a respectable company but by no means guarantees thriving in the workforce thereafter. Many high-distinction students end up to be mediocre professionals whereas people who made it big did not finish school or Uni.
to get you into the course you so want to get into.
Often times you go through the motions --
Effort, stress, anxiety etc --
but get a score that (alas) is
What now? Well, you then do some bridging (generalist) course in University (eg Arts) in hope of obtaining good enough marks to transfer to that course of choice.
Academia is competitive,
And Industry is selective.
Better get good marks!
What? You're struggling?? What will be your future?!
is often the result.
or psychological treatment would then follow.
or any other name Psychologists are calling it.
we are already seeing out there.
Just natural, evolutionary changes in response to the above issues:
Here are some
Industry is reaching out
to Universities and schools.
- Primarily for graduate and student programs
- But this is just a start
- This conduit will develop to inevitably reduce all the unnecessary fat in current curricula and courses.
are becoming more palatable and recognizable alternatives to the traditional High School programs and University Degrees.
which offer lighter and shorter courses are becoming more competitive to the traditional Universities.
This is introducing diversity of pre-qualification options that the industry is more accepting of.
and knowledge are devaluing as methods and know-hows transform.
Strategy & Innovation
As opposed to technical and operational skills,
as process work becomes automated or outsourced.
Skills that are more sought after are
- Academic achievements will not define your success
- Industry and High Schools should develop closer affinity
- General academics should be replaced with more viable studies
- Any essential qualifications should be postponed as much as possible:
from Part 1
Any "Must" qualification for practicing in a particular field should be attained as late as possible, preferably after entering the workforce:
Qualifications -- Postpone
- To avoid unnecessary studying (change of mind, change of requirements, choice of course is immature)
- Your company will quite possibly sponsor the study
- The studying will be more meaningful
on all this.
Over to the
years for the child. Need to acquire
High School is
with which to survive in this world. These values would underpin everything, including making a living.
Detriment to Society.
Even if success in education and career is attained.
And to the Contrary: "Successful" Criminals are using their ingenuity for bad purposes, like online hacking, illegal drug, terrorism etc.
Lack in Values
For Gentiles, these are more specifically the
7 Noachide Laws.
The Jewish value system is derived from the
This underpins everything.
The most Central Value is to have the
themes of what this outlook should be:
Worldly: Laws of nature are king. Religion may fill in the gaps
Torah: G-d runs the world and nature is subservient.
So we generally find
to this divergence. For example:
To insure success -- where must you invest more?
- Natural means – completing school, university courses (bachelor, masters, post-graduate), working long hours and practicing trickery.
- G-dly means – Learn and observe the Torah, ensuring any natural necessary means you persue are clean of Torah Prohibitions.
The ultimate implication is the divergence in
With less stress on Academic studies (Part 1), there's more time to impart good values on students (Part 2).
This is better for:
- The Individual
- Less time and effort wastage
- Better mental stability
- Higher success rate
- Better and more meaningful life
- Positive impact on Society
Implications (from Part 2)
What's changing with the Coming of Moshiach?
will be the sole occupation of humanity
in the Messianic Age.
(Rambam (Mishne Torah) at its end.)
Future of Academia
is in the science of the supernatural.
Education, research and scholarship will move into the spiritual arena, the study of G-dliness as elucidated by the deeper teachings of the Torah.
That'll be the
will want and need to enroll in these new courses --
mostly as under-graduates with very little prior knowledge of Torah.
Aside from changes in syllabus,
(and his dog?)
for lecturers and Subject Matter Experts in the
Jewish Studied field.
Basics of Judaism
(4 worlds, 10 spheres, 5 levels of the soul)
To Basics of Mysticism
- Like the difference between the world of אצילות (Emanation) and the worlds under it (בי"ע), and conversely the worlds above it (א"ק, א"ס).
- Or the essential difference between the supernal חכמה (Wisdom) and בינה (Understanding).
To more advanced topics
in this very near future.
Not only as a World-to-Come thing,
but as a "Plan A" career path.
Why did you think that the Messianic Age is synonymous with putting your feet up and sun-baking ??
Meaning there's no need to work because G-dly radiance will be shining bright for us to delight in...
Messianic Age ≠
(See Talmud Brachot 34b, Rambam Laws of Kings Ch.12.)
There's actual, global demand for true Torah Scholars:
For the knowledge,
the inspiration and guidance.
but also there is
The global, desparate need for Jewish Inspiration is the
Good Rabbis are well sought after.
For those with the
Pretty Good Remuneration...
Part 3 -- Implications
Bring Academics back into play but in the realm of Torah:
- Especially for those with the sharper minds
- Especially on the deeper subjects of Torah (the Future)
- Torah academics also help to drive morals and values
- And provide a career path for now
- And especially for the near future
- As well as usher in this very Future Era...
- Less emphasis on general academics
- More emphasis on practical, lean, courses
- More emphasis on Torah -- its values and academics
- Emphasis on Torah does not undermine successful career in any profession
- Schoolling programs and certification should recognize the above
The Failings of Higher Education
By Itamar Hatzvi