Reaches a Dead End
Esau Vs. Jacob is also a personal struggle
that scales up to World Politics
and comes to a head with
the Coming of Moshiach
Bonus: How Moshiach would have come pre-Democracy
sets the scene:
Fighting in the Womb
- Rebecca finally becomes pregnant.
- But there was fighting in the womb.
- Unusual pregnancy... She seeks counsel.
- She's told by G-d that she's bearing twins.
- And they're fighting on who'll rule over the world.
- They'll continuously overtake each other.
- Ultimately the younger one will rule forever.
- She thought there's a single soul.
- You're either good or bad. Not both.
- Hence she was perplexed when she felt this fetus fighting with itself.
- More perplexing was this same fetus edging to come out when passing by idol worshiping places and, in contrast, the Synagogue.
- She had to sort this out.
Rebecca's dilemma was also
To her amazement, she found out she's bearing twins...
Indeed there are
within each person:
The first is a
- It solely revolves around material things
- Pretty much like animals
- Hence it's running to serve idols (tangible objects)
- Symbolized by Esau
The other is a
- It only considers spiritual matters.
- It only cares about being united with G-d.
- Hence it wants to run to the Synagogue.
- Symbolized by Jacob.
With two opposing forces within the person,
there's obviously a
Battle for who will rule the miniature world – the person.
Cannot Rule Concurrently
The two drives
There's only one person.
when this one rises, the other falls.
Esau is Older
The natural drive comes at birth
(for example, baby demanding his milk).
The G-dly drive comes in later,
with understanding and learning
Hence Esau rules this world at first.
dominates in This World.
- There is so much going for the Animalistic Drive.
- Its pursuits are readily available.
- Cash is king.
It's ain't easy to push Esau off his throne.
We Need Esau.
- Esau is not an enemy to be rid of.
- He is one to be on top of.
- The bodily desires are required in the Service of G-d.
- We need to engage with the Physical World in order to elevate it.
- Jacob will rule Esau
- The G-dly Drive will reign over the Bodily Drive
- Everyone is guaranteed to repent by the End of Days
- In other words, adopt Jacob's model
Jacob = Will Overtake
How will Jacob overtake Esau?
between Esau & Jacob.
There are many
One essential difference is the
behind the drive.
Esau – Heart
Esau's heart motivates his behavior.
"Give me what I want!"
His mind is a vehicle for achieving his heart's desires.
"Let me figure out how I can get that"
Esau's model is the default state of the human being.
But this route (when uncontrolled) eventually ends up in
Morality, decency, honesty are discounted to allow the chase for physical desires, like jealousy, lust, and greed.
What normally ensues is relationships broken, trouble, pain and suffering...
Hence Esau is a
He has to then twist the truth to cover up his disgraceful wrongs.
He knows right from wrong,
but his mind is too weak to withstand the pull of his strong, materialistic heart.
Jacob – Mind
Jacob's mind drives his behavior.
The mind tells and explains to the heart: "This is what we should be getting into, and this is why it's much better "
The heart is then the vehicle for achieving the goals of the mind.
It pumps its emotions in the right direction.
Jacob's model represents the ideal state of the human being.
Hence Jacob is a
The mind and heart are consistent.
There is no motivation to cheat.
Jacob's mind is primarily occupied with
So his model also infuses the world with
through all the actions and words that he performs and says.
|Engine||Heart (Give me what I want!)||Mind (This is what, and that's why)|
|Vehicle||Mind (OK, let's see how)||Heart (Wow! I'm with you!)|
|Heart drives the mind||Mind drives the heart|
Esau's Heart is in Control
Jacob can't talk to him then.
- When Esau learnt that he missed out on his father's valuable material blessings.
- When he was flattened by Jacob's exorbitant presents.
- In the future...
Shock. Dismay. Dumbfound. Speechless.
Jacob could then get through to Esau.
What's all that got to do with the
is built on Esau's Model.
Heart = People.
- They have many wants.
- They don't have much foresight into the implications of meeting their desires and ideals.
- They generally don't have a sense of direction.
Government – Head.
- The Government controls the country but the people control the Government.
- The Government reacts to the whims of the people.
- Hence it is inconsistent. It changes every few years.
Yet, it is the People who drive (elect)
Just like Esau's model won't take him far before he finds himself in a mess,
is leading the world down a
is built on Jacob's Model.
is connected with, and
drives the People.
Melech / מלך
That's the Hebrew word for "King".
It is also acronym for:
|מ||מוח / Moach||Mind|
|ל||לב / Lev||Heart|
|ך||כליות / Kliot||Kidney|
Mind first, then Heart.
What's changing with the Coming of Moshiach?
State of flux / turmoil / confusion.
The 'Unpleasant' Signs of Moshiach.
People are looking for solutions from the Government.
Government has a bigger dilemma:
It's on a decline. Can't provide the goods.
Yet, it has to satisfy the confused demands of the People.
Two for Esau
3. Moshiach gathers momentum.
The People become cognizant of this alternative.
Opt for him.
One for Jacob
on the rise
|Engine||Heart (Give me what I want!)||Mind (look how great this is...)|
|Vehicle||Mind (OK, Iet's see how)||Heart (Wow! you're right!)|
|Heart drives the mind||Mind drives the heart|
|World||Democracy: The people (heart) drive the Government (mind)||Kingship: The king/ Government (mind) drives the people (heart)|
|Heart||State of flux / turmoil / confusion. Looking for direction (from mind)||Because Moshiach is coming|
|Mind||Government is on a decline. Can't provide the goods.||Because Moshiach is coming|
|Moshiach takes over|
How could Moshiach have come in the past?
In the Past:
- Monarchy – not democratic – governance for Esau.
- Monarch generally evil and brutal
- Opposite of what Jacob's kings are
- The "Head" is ruling by force
- How could Moshiach have possibly come then?
- Naturally, Jacob just cannot overtake Esau when he's going strong.
- Need a miraculous Redemption.
- "Forced" / emergency delivery.
- How would such Redemption have come about?
One of the enablers for Moshiach to come is
This will be covered in a separate topic, G-d willing.
- Things get so bad that Jews are forced to cry to G-d...
- The troubles are forcing them to repent ("Forced Repentance")
- Compare this with Democratic times, when we have freedom of religion
- Any repentance made today is a "Willing Repentance".
Rebecca's dilemma was ideological (single soul/drive): See Tanya Ch.28
There are two souls/drives in each person: Etz Chaim Gate 50 Ch. 2, Tanya Ch. 1
Esau & Jacob = Animal and G-dly Drives: Shela, Gate of Letters, et al
Constant battle between the two drives, they cannot rule concurrently: Tanya Ch. 9
Esau (Animalistic Drive) is first: Tanya Ch. 1
We need Esau: And also, in the Next World, when Jacob will rule and spirituality will "be king", nevertheless physicality (Esau) will still be needed. Refer the End of the World for more.
Every individual is guaranteed to ultimately repent: Deuteronomy 30,1-3, Rambam Laws of Repentance 7:5. Note this will be G-d willing explained in future topics.
Esau's headquarters are in the heart: Tanya Ch. 9
Esau's model / lifestyle is a recipe for chaos: Also see Isaiah 57:20 for example: The wicked will never obtain tranquility but will continually meet trouble (Mezudat David on this verse). But this is spelled out in the repeated warnings of the Torah itself, if you follow your heart, such and such will occur. Indeed, Esau has been hunting married women (Genesis 26:34, Rashi) and his own wives have been "hunted" from him by his own children (Midrash Bereshit Rabba 82:12). His family ended up disintegrated (Genesis 46:26 and Rashi there).
Esau is a born liar: Midrash Bereshit Rabba 63:10
Jacob's headquarters are in the mind: Tanya Ch. 9
Jacob is a straight person: Genesis 25:27 and Rashi there.
Jacob's mind is pre-occupied with Torah: See Genesis 25:27, Rashi
Jacob infuses the world with G-dliness: Tanya Ch.37
Esau learnt he's lost his father's material blessings: Genesis 27:34-38
Esau flattered by Jacob's exorbitant presents: Genesis 33:4
Forced Repentance, Willing Repentance: See Talmud Sanhedrin 97b and the MaHaRSHA's commentary.
Esau Vs. Jacob = Democracy Vs. Jewish Kingship
By Itamar Hatzvi