Data Science, Designed
Dan Hammer • OCIO
NASA IS A BIG PLACE WIth a lot of data science
What is the optimal Application Deployment Structure?
- Each service implements a set of narrowly related functions.
- Services communicate using or asynch or synchronous protocols (like RESTful APIs).
- Services are independently deployed
- Each service has its own database in order to be decoupled from other services
API (ABBR.) Application Programming Interface:
- a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications; structure for the interaction between raw data and the final application.
"A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing building blocks. A programmer then puts the blocks together."
What is the point of an API? Why should we care?
An API is a structured way to engage with NASA data. Without it, most data sets are effectively unusable by third-party developers -- the fixed cost of data wrangling is too high.
"Most important element for NASA data science? Making the data usable." DJ Patil
If a data set is created in the woods and no one uses it, is it data? No.