Technical Account Manager at Lingotek.
SCDUG July 2017
Technical Account Manager
What's a Lingotek?
In the Cloud.
Founded in 2006, Lingotek is a cloud-based translation service provider. Lingotek uses collaborative translation technology online, so that linguists can work together in real time to offer faster, more efficient language translation for clients.
Lingotek's offerings include:
- Translation Management System (TMS)
- Translation Workbench & In-Context Workbench
- Professional Language Services
Full list of Connectors
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Experience Manager
- Atlassian Confluence
- Drupal 7 & 8
How it works.
The Deeper Process. ish.
- i18n modules (d7)
- field vs. node translation
- workflows & translation profiles
- Okapi filters & segmentation
- machine translation vs. professional
D7 Module vs. D8 Module
- API 4 (not RESTful)
- More Mature
- Have to turn on multi-lingual support for new content types manually
- Multi-lingual support isn't as universal, so more bumps
- Stores loose strings in "config" sets
- API 5 (RESTful)
- Less Mature
- Always assumes new content types should have multi-lingual support on
- D8 made multi-lingual support a core feature
- Not as many loose strings to catch
So your client wants a multilingual site.
Initial setup? Super speedy.
Making it work? Takes more time.
5 out of 5 Client Success Team members agree:
Site Audits are the best.
Joe: "Get an AUDIT!!!!!!! This is the number one killer of schedules and budgets because there are way too many ways to configure and customize Drupal to have a turnkey solution."
Nathan: "110% what Joe said. A site audit would have saved some of my clients a HUGE nightmare if they chose to get it first."
Brian: "+1 to what Joe said."
Clark: "I agree with all the feedback so far."
- Kaylan: "Not having site audits is painful."
Getting Quality Translation.
- Translation Glossaries
- Prior Translation Memory
- Allowing enough time
- Plan extra time for discovery and architecture if a client wants to do localization.
- Initial set-up of the modules is quick, successfully round-tripping machine translation (MT) of all content types and taxonomies takes time
- Plan on using poor quality MT for development work
- There will always be something. Provide time for unknown unknowns
Questions to Answer
- Are we translating URLs?
- Will there be a 1:1 correlation on menu items?
- Will every piece of content be available in every language?
- How do you handle ones that wont be translated?
- Are we writing or has any custom code been written for this site? What functionality does it drive?
- Are we translating any User Generated Content?
- How many languages are we translating into?
- Are there any major structural changes that come with any of the languages we are translating? (eg: read right to left, not left to right)
- Does our content contain any videos, with or without subtitles?
- Are we using Taxonomies to drive any functionality?
- Is Workbench moderation in use on this site?
- Has any previous translation work been done on this site?
- Is it being kept and added onto, or starting over?
- How was it done? node vs. field translation
Images with Text.
Images with text in them can't be machine translated.
There are two ways to handle this:
- Client manually uploads image files, professional services translates and sends back new images.
- Design the site so that all text overlays are done using HTML/CSS, rather than built in to the image.
If text has to be built into the image, Media Translation module is your friend.
- Translating URLs gives an SEO boost
- Translating URLs also helps users
- Managing Translated URLs is challenging
- D7: Multi-link Module
- D8: Support should be better in Core
Common Problems: D7
- New content types are created without turning on Multi-Lingual Support under publishing options
- Taxonomy's default name/description fields are recreated, and advanced handling of taxonomy hasn't been turned on.
- URLs aren't supposed to be translated, but they get translated anyway because path auto is turned on.
- Trying to translate "Views" literally translates the view. Not the content of the View.
Common Problems: D8
- The D8 Connector isn't as mature as D7.
- Support for Paragraphs is in, but still touchy.
aka: live demo time.
For more Info.
Lingotek on Drupal
Lingotek on YouTube
SCDUG July 2017
By Kaylan Senour