Build the Web
Thursdays 5:00-7:00pm Library Fishbowl
What will we be doing?
This workshop series will focus on HTML, CSS and JS. Each participant will be working on creating a website as we learn. The series will have a heavy focus on 'learning by doing.'
What you should expect of yourself:
- Practice & Exploration- you will need to try things out and test your boundaries
- Learning is messy- failure is actually a very useful and important part of programming
- Collaboration- learn from and & share with others
- Independence- you will need to practice on your own
- Expect to spend time outside of the workshops if you want to get the most out of what we cover
Why are YOU here?
- How will you apply what you learn?
- Do you have a specific project you are working on?
- What kind of experience do you have with web development or computer programming?
What do YOU expect from the series?
- Beyond building a site?
- Do you prefer more freedom or more structure?
- Are there any specific topics you want to address or explore?
Learning is not 'one size fits all'
- Through learning-by-doing and exploration, we will creating flexibility in how we learn and what content we cover
- Through independent exploration we will try, fail & succeed at things that couldn't be planned
- Learning through exploration will give you a deeper understanding of the concepts
- Don't be afraid to break anything! We won't be learning nearly enough to get us to the point where we might be able to break the Internet.
Respect for each other & our ideas
- We want a diversity of voices/ideas
- Try not to 'shoot anyone down'
- Use "Yes, and..." to be constructive
- We will all make mistakes and ask for help
- Encourage exploration - try doing things differently to see what happens
- allow others to try things on their own
- offer support, without being controlling
- HTML (2-3 weeks)
- CSS (2-3 weeks)
- Other issues:
- mobile design
- Databases (MySQL)
- other ideas?
There will be overlap with these- plan on ~8 weeks total
Build the Web
By Tim Miller