Historian. Linguist. Writer. Coder. Mathematician. Founder @ http://MathHarbor.com
Chrome Apps for Mobile
HTML5 mobile dev done right?
What happened to PhoneGap?
- The source is being incubated at ASF, known as Cordova
- PhoneGap is an Adobe trademark, integrated with their product workflow
- PhoneGap hasn't worked out too well.
- Stronger with active community involvement
- Supports a lot of device functions across platforms.
- Not perfect, but it works.
- Simply, web apps running on Chrome, with extra zing.
- Hosted or packaged
- Relatively easy to convert existing code.
- Mobile Chrome Apps - package Chrome Apps for mobile.
- Built on Cordova.
- Access Chrome APIs for identity, notifications.
- WebViews - broken!
- The Chrome runtime's far more advanced, and optimized.
- Works on lots of platforms - but let's not go there right now.
- Chrome App Dev Tool for Mobile
- Chrome Dev Editor
Putting it together
- Cordova - Device functionality
- Famo.us - Smooth, complex UIs
- Parse/CloudEngine - Powerful backends
So what do we have here?
It's early days yet, but this is probably HTML5 for Android done right.
Play with it!
Droidcon IN2014 - Chrome Apps for Mobile
By Rudraksh M.K.