Volunteer contributor with the Wikimedia Foundation & Co-Founder of ThinkFOSS [ Random Python and PHP freak ]
Wikimedia Hackathon, IIT R
[12 March, 2016; 10 am to 8 pm]
Few official details
Official event page - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_IIT_Roorkee
#wmhackiitr in irc.freenode.net
What we can do in 10 hours ?
First 30 mins - why we are here, the perks
- Next 30 mins - MediaWiki code review process, making things happen
- Next 8 hours - hack, code, hack
- Next 1 hour - Preparing for GSoC/Outreachy, strong proposals, etc!
and I travel back to South
and one more thing .. free food :)
- CS final year student here, came forward with this idea
- Did her OPW with Wikimedia Foundation, in 2014 - developed the SpellingDictionary extension for Mediawiki
- Google Anita Borg Scholarships, Red hat Women in Open Source academic award finalist, etc etc.
- Google Code In 2015 mentor, representing Wikimedia at FOSSASIA, Singapore
- Still sticks around with the Foundation!
- CS final year student at Amrita University
- Active FOSS@Amrita member
- Develops in PHP, Python ( Django, Tornado )
- Considerable amount ( ~200 ) bug fix since 2013
- GSoC 2014 student with Wikimedia, project deployed
- Mentored GSoC 2015 with Wikimedia Foundation
- GSoC 2016 & Outreachy'12 org admin with Wikimedia
- Invited to WMF events at SFO, Lyon, Jerusalem, Italy
- Co - founded ThinkFOSS ( www.thinkfoss.com )
def show_off( self ):
Where are you right now ?
Installed LAMP in your machine
have followed inhuman Gerrit Tutorial
have MedaiWiki running in your machine
What we will be doing later from now ?
find and fix bugs in MediaWiki codebase
Git -Version control system for collaborative development
Mediawiki - Open Source wiki software, on which run the Wikipedia
Wikimedia Foundation - The organization which maintains MediaWiki and ~1000 popular wikis
IRC - Internet Relay Chat, where developers hang out
Bug - issue in code which needs a patch
Patch - code change, which fix something
GSoC - Paid Internship sponsored by Google
Outreachy - GSoC.remove(males)
Our goals for this 10 hours
- Get more students contributing to Open Source projects, and Mediawiki, and push them to internship programs like Outreachy and GSoC
your take ...
- Know a bit of how to contribute to MediaWiki
- Fix your first bug to MediaWiki codebase
- Preparing your proposals, get to know how to be the strong candidate
and maybe one day ...
- star in your organization, join one
- redeem various other opportunities while sticking around
How to contribute
Warning: Boring slides ahead
There are loads of ways to contribute
Fixing code, Documentation, Quality assurance, Outreach, Design, Localization etc. etc.
Open Source projects
- Code available for public to alter
- alteration made to public code - patch
- Maintainers review, merge and verify patch
- Next release got the patch
Any minimum requirements ?
- Mindset to search and find answers from Google
- Should be cool with the project language
- Be super expressive, ask questions in text
Few things you need to know...
before you start off
How can others know
I am working on this bug ?
Do I have to find
bugs on my own ?
How can someone review my works,
and test if I did it wrong ?
- Bug tracker
- Developed by Facebook
- Code Review Tool
- Developed by Google
mw has your patch
Lets start finding and fixing bugs :)
Wikimedia Hackathon at IIT R
By Tony Thomas