Developing applications for Kubernetes using Docker for Mac
Cloud Software Engineer at Cloudreach
Does anyone use Docker?
Does anyone use Kubernetes?
Does Docker do Kubernetes?
YES. THEY. DO.
What does that even mean?
Use Kubernetes instead of Docker Swarm
Allow a 1 node local cluster
Add additional docker commands that play nice with Kubernetes
Great, how do we start?
You already have it, if you have Docker installed
What Docker for Mac doesn't include...
Default Ingress Controller
Don't worry, because you can add it to your cluster
But this will mess up my workflow
Why should I switch my workflow
Why not Minikube?
- Single-node Kubernetes cluster inside a VM on your computer
- Allows you to use kubectl to access cluster for development purposes
- Test strategies on your computer instead of in the cloud
- Uses VirtualBox or xhyve driver
- Not bound to localhost
- You have to use minikube IPs
- docker stack deploy -c <docker-compose file> <name>
So how do I start
- kubectl create -f <kubernetes.yaml file>
- helm install <name of chart>
This is what I did before we start this demo….
- I installed the Kubernetes dashboard
- I installed the Nginx ingress controller
- Created a helm chart with values
- Downloaded images that I need ahead of time
- Using local docker images to use in your cluster
- Deploying those local images to your cluster
- Use docker stack deploy command
- Using helm to manage our deployments
By Troy M. Connor