Visualization Librarian at USC Libraries
GIS and Spatial Sciences
at USC Libraries
Contact me for a research consultation:
Research flows and data life cycle
Life Cycle models:
DataOne - https://www.dataone.org/data-life-cycle
Primary vs Secondary vs Teriatry sources
direct, first-hand, closeness to an event or thing
interpretation or analysis of a primary or secondary source. good way of getting back to a primary source.
overview, summary, encyclopedia, wikipedia, textbooks, etc.
Primary: Census data extracted from cenus website
Secondary: Article or book that discusses and uses that census data
Tertiary: Wikepedia entry for the US Census
Use advanced search to narrow / broaden your results
change settings in order to link to USC Libraries
- click on library links
- search for university of southern california
- check off University of Southern California - Find it @ USC
Thoughts on Finding Data
Topic of interest?
Source of dataset(s)?
Primary or Secondary data?
Raster or Vector data model?
Access to USC subscription databases and other data sources
Social Explorer PolicyMap SimplyAnalytics
Courses - access core geospatial datasets online
your data is only as good as the metadata
- where did you get it
- how it was collected
Practice good metadata
- describe the data that you download in a text document
- write out any relevant information about it
- if you change your data say what you did
- name your data files something meaningful
- with each change update filenames and offer description
Los Angeles data with a great metadata completion status - check out the beta site!
Ask a Librarian
Using the USC Libraries for GIS Research
By Andy Rutkowski