WordCamp Birmingham 2014
Hi, I'm Brian DiChiara, Freelance Web Developer
What Is Debugging?
The process of
identifying and removing errors
from computer software
What is the Problem?
It's not working.
- I get an error.
- It doesn't look right.
- It's doing something funky.
Help me help you
- What specifically is not working?
- Can you please tell me the error message you are getting?
- What are you expecting to happen?
- What about it makes you think it's doing something funky?
Locate the problem
USE A STAGING SITE
Setup Your Own:
- WP Engine
- Site Ground
My Ideal Setup
1. Private Repo in BitBucket
- At minimum Dev, Staging, and Master Branch
- Ignore wp-config.php and wp-content/uploads
2. Setup Locally, using AMPPS, XAMPP, MAMP Pro, or a custom *AMP setup.
- Host file and VirtualHosts in Apache
- Local Database and DB String Replace
- SQLYog (Windows) or Sequel Pro (Mac)
- Match wp-config.php
Tools of the trade
Disclaimer: Cowboy coding (or live site debugging)
is looked down upon and is the worst way
to debug a website.
Check against your IP address!
Mario Peshev (@no_fear_inc)
Mo Jangda (Toronto)
Even You Can Debug
By Brian DiChiara