A little About me
What you Could Get out of this Talk
- A few ideas about how to optimize a WebGL app
- Some WebGL/Three.js and graphics concepts
- How to get nice looking text in WebGL
- Eh... Maybe you just want to see pretty things,
and some cool code... (Ya, I got that!)
I hope I can do
this For you
Our Older SVG Maps
How we Create Them
OMG, Did we make that?
Now we Have
soooo let's talk about One Big Problem
We Take Our Platforms for Granted
Every Platforms Is Different
Webgl Has no Way to render Text
And off we go
Problem 1: ONe Draw Call Per Mesh and Material
A common Optimization
CPU -> GPU
Less Draw Calls = More better
More FPS = More Better
Problem 2: Merging... Isn't Particularly Fast.
Problem 3: Threejs Text produces lots of Vertices, which makes merging is slow.
Another Common Optimization
Textures, Sprites, and UV Mapping
Problem 4: It needs to look good always
Note: worse on non-retina and when you have "Transparency" (think seat numbers)
Ughhh what now!
We need something Different
MY ELI5 - The distance field represents the distance of each pixel from the closest letter. We are hijacking an 8bit image to store distance data in it. As we change magnification we adjust transparency of some pixels, and show certain other pixels to make the text look smoother.
OUr Font File as A Texture
- Looks good with text at any size text
- Relatively fast
- More resource efficient (lighter memory footprint)
- A bit slower due to more vertices and more merging
- Need to deal with kerning
- Sometimes text is rounder than it should be
- No font-stack (i.e. fallbacks to alternative fonts when characters don't exist in the current font)
Actually.. NO! We Rock!
Don't you EVEN!
Who even does this
- Chrome: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/11/chromes-signed-distance-field-font-rendering-still-needs-work/
- Mapbox: https://www.mapbox.com/blog/text-signed-distance-fields/
- Valve: Team Fortress 2 (and the source engine)
I guess that's it
Some Thank Yous!
PS: we're hiring :)
sf, nashville, argentina
WebGL + Text
By Parris Khachi