The Milltown Community

Thanks to Ron Fry for research

Named after Cooper's Mill

  • Erected in 1846 by Amos Cooper and Nat. Hull
  • Third mill in county (after Lowe's and Lowther's)
  • Cost $6000 to erect ($162,000 today)
  • Sec. 11, Monon Twp., on the Big Monon Creek
  • Back in the day the Big Monon was a real creek

Succeeding owners

  • 1853: Lewis Davisson and Alex. Sosbe
  • 1871: John JostĀ 
    • Employed the Loughrys as millers
  • 1871: John Gratner
  • 1872-1885: Henry Crumbo

Cooper's Mill: Last days

  • Dynamite #1: October 28, 1883
  • Dynamite #2: November 8, 1883
  • Crumbo agrees to dismantle: November 23, 1885
  • Mill and dam were dismantled
    • Hussey, Saylor and Reece

Uriah Hussey Farm

(Later Bert Morris purchased)

More about the Crumbos

  • Prominent family in New Albany, In.
  • Came to White Co. after Pulaski Co. woes
  • Descendants: Hammels, Kellenbergers, Tyners

Milltown

By capouch

Milltown

  • 587
Loading comments...

More from capouch