CEO of Nethemba - Slovak IT security company founded in 2007, primarily focused on web application security and various penetration tests.
why & what?
- Most Internet connections are already encrypted using SSL/TLS (https, ssh, smtps, ...)
- The main goal of VPN in these days is not to protect the content, but the metadata of your connections (source/destination IP addresses, used protocol, timestamp, ...)
- Metadata call still reveal a lot of sensitive information about your behavior
- Therefore always check "no log VPNs", https://proprivacy.com/vpn/comparison/best-no-logs-vpns
- And prefer VPNs that can be paid in an anonymous way (e.g. using crypto, like XMR https://greycoder.com/a-list-of-vpn-providers-that-accept-monero-for-payment/ )
VPN for personal & company use
- If you have you own IP infrastructure, use OpenVPN (the most robust and best open-source VPN)
- If you want to use benefits of world's VPN exit nodes, use ProtonVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN - all of them accept crypto payments and endorse "no-log" policy
- ProtonVPN supports both "secure core" (two nodes instead of one) and Tor exit nodes
- ProtonVPN supports NetShield (malware/ads DNS blocking)
By Pavol Luptak