Umbraco MVP x2, Trainer and CTO @cogworks • Team Captain @wowschoolpl • #umbraCoffee Co-Host • IT Consultant and Public Speaker.
Career in // with
Code / Teach @ The Cogworks
Business @ WOW School
Suck @ udfnd.pl
Try @ umbraCoffee
My Open Source activity
- Umbraco CMS (Core) + community work: UI-O-Matic, LeBlender, Meganav, Find & Replace, Examine File Indexer, Examine Inspector, Our Umbraco, Image Crop Picker, Core Property Value Converters, other...
- Scrum for Trello
- Umbraco PL Meetup Group & Festival
cin >> background
- Introverted as hell!
- Really, really shitty programmer
- Focused on everything else except code (basketball, girls, parties etc.)
cout << result
- Happiness, work-life balance
- Keep Calm and Code on...
- Self-confidence, self-development, motivation and other side effects ;)
Everyone uses OSS
Free stuff & tools
Just Fork IT™
Contributing for Babies
- Branch / Work / Git-flow
- Commit & Push
- Pull Request
- Code Review
- Merge / Decline
Am I good enough?
How can You contribute?
- Reporting Bugs and Feature Requests
- Writing or updating / fixing documentation
- Translations (docs, apps)
- Stop complaining!
"I don't have time for work after work"
"It's hard" //
But, really... why?
I got 99 problems, but PRs for them ain't one...
- X-Factor Project™ (rapid growth of popularity)
- Bugs, issues, feature requests = maintenance = time?!
- Will > Possibilities = wrong priorities
- Lack of management skills (self-management included)
- up-for-grabs & first-timers-only
- Gitter / Slack chats
- Answer those damn e-mails / issues...
- Discuss & don't give up - PR is just a beginning!
- !Best practises
- Issues Tracker R.I.P.
- "No" is the right (and only) answer
- "You know nothing John Snow"
- No roadmap
- Code of conduct? Code of what?
- Newcomers? For what?!
@zajkowskimarcin / email@example.com
Career in/with Open Source
By Marcin Zajkowski