John Dugan is a respected professional author who is noted for his contributions to a variety of news organizations, magazines and websites.
Most men at some point in their lives experience a weak erection or two. It’s natural – you could be exhausted, busy, or just have a lot on your mind. However, when weak erections persist, it may be time to dive a little deeper and see what’s going on. For some men, weak erections can quickly evolve into erectile dysfunction if they don’t pay attention to the symptoms. One emerging way to treat weak erections and erectile dysfunction is hypnotherapy. Once just used to make people bark like dogs or quit smoking, this mind-body practice is showing promise in a lot of treatment spaces. Let’s talk about hypnotherapy and how it may help reverse erectile dysfunction.
Defining Erectile Dysfunction
There’s a lot of confusion around erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is when a man cannot either get or maintain an erection 25 percent of the time he tries. It is a chronic condition, but it can be successfully treated. Men who experience the same symptoms, but less than 25 percent of the time should still closely monitor it. Some would put weak erections in erectile dysfunction classification or pre-erectile dysfunction classification.
What Causes Weak Erections?
Several things can lead to weak erections, both of a physical and mental aspect.
Physical causes include:
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- High Cholesterol
- Multiple Sclerosis
Mental causes include:
- General Mental distress
- Body Issues/Dysmorphia
- Performance-specific Anxiety
The Brain and Erectile Dysfunction
When you think about it, erections begin in the brain, so mental or emotional issues can easily put a halt on hard-ons. In addition to some of the aforementioned medical issues, here are some other mental or emotional situations that can cause erectile dysfunction:
- Feelings of shame and/or guilt related to sex
- Negative sexual experiences, up to and including rape
- Especially stressful events or an overwhelming amount of daily life stress
- Lack of intimacy with a partner
- Remembering a past incidence of erectile dysfunction or having a weak erection
Hypnotherapy and Penis Problems
Interestingly enough, hypnotherapy has shown promise in treating erectile dysfunction that is a result of mental or emotional trauma. It is “…an adjunct form of therapy, used along with other forms of psychological or medical treatment, there are many applications. Hypnotherapy can be used to treat anxiety, phobias, substance abuse including tobacco, sexual dysfunction, undesirable spontaneous behaviors, and bad habits,” according to an article in Psychology Today.
If a man thinks an emotional or mental health issue may be at the root of his weak erection, a great course of action is to find an experienced, licensed hypnotherapist in his area. Sessions can be held in person or by video conferencing depending on what the therapist provides. After a session, therapists will usually give patients additional exercises they can do on their own to maintain or enhance results.
Short of the time or cash to see a professional? Try this DIY guide to self-hypnosis:
1. Close and relax your eyes. If you can’t seem to relax them, use a weighted eye pillow.
2. Now breathe. Listen to the sound of your breathing as you inhale fresh air and exhale stress and tension. Do this for five minutes.
3. Visualize your partner in an intimate way. Stay with that thought while you do #4.
4. While holding that picture in your mind, imagine you have a special lever you can pull to surge blood to your penis. Continue gradually turning it up while participating in a fantasy with your partner.
5. Visualization is critical to making the hypnosis work. Keep the image in your head and after a little while see how your member responds.
The next time you find yourself in an intimate situation, simply reengage your breath and relax and mentally pull that level to manifest an erection. Of course, practice makes perfect, so don’t expect to knock one out of the park on your first at-bat.
5 Other Ways to Treat a Weak Erection
- If hypnotherapy isn’t for you, there are plenty of other ways to treat or prevent erectile dysfunction such as:
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep each night to get more erections while you’re sleeping (it’s a biological thing).
- Get at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity every day to get the blood pumping!
- Manage your stress or it will manage you (and your penis). Find something like yoga, meditation, or even boxing (two-in-one bonus) to put stress down and your little friend up.
- Keep it clean by incorporating a good grooming routine that includes thorough washing, rinsing, and drying, as well as practicing safe sex.
- For an extra boost, use a specially formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) to encourage blood flow for stronger, enduring erections. These creams include ingredients like Arginine and vitamin C which improve blood flow to the penis, increasing the likelihood of more vigorous erections.
Could Hypnotherapy Reverse a Weak Erection?
By John Dugan