John Dugan is a respected professional author who is noted for his contributions to a variety of news organizations, magazines and websites.
Who can forget that magic moment in The Forty-Year-Old Virgin when Steve Carrell wakes up with the Godzilla of all morning erections. Men across the world must have felt a warmth in their heart as they are all too familiar with the situation. So what causes a man to get an erection during sleep? Doesn’t he have to be awake to, you know, get things going? Actually, no you don’t and morning erections are not only a happy surprise but a sign of good health. Let’s breakdown the important things all men should know about morning erections.
How and Why Erections During Sleep Happen
Let’s start with how erections happen during waking hours. A man gets stimulated in some way – a touch, a particularly exciting image or memory, or even just a stiff breeze. He will experience this sensation in the parasympathetic nervous system which produces the release of neurotransmitters. Then the arteries in the penis expand to accommodate the rush of blood flooding the penis. And there you have it, an erection.
Now nocturnal penile tumescence, or erections during sleep, happen because there’s a natural increase in the parasympathetic system’s activity. It sends signals to relax muscles, slow heart rate, and push the brain into REM, the deepest dream state. This can create a nocturnal erection. Healthy men may have several in an evening without even knowing it. Another biological reason for erections during sleep is that testosterone, the hormone that drives sex drive, is also at its highest in the morning resulting in morning erections.
Blame the Bladder
A lot of people think morning erections are caused by a full tank, likely because many men drain the lizard once they wake up with one. There could be some meat to this claim as a full bladder can excite the nerves in the spine which in turn creates an erection.
Morning Erections: When Should I Be Worried?
Here’s the amazing news -- a morning erection is a pretty accurate gauge of good health. So, if you are waking up with your soldier at attention, clearly you are doing something right.
Now, men who don’t wake up with a morning erection may want to see their doctor as it could a result of a health condition, obesity, or smoking. If you aren’t seeing morning wood or getting erections during sleep consistently for a substantial time, make the call. It could be nothing, but it also may be something you’d want to treat immediately.
Getting a Handle on Your Morning Erection: The Big 3
It’s likely you already know this, but there are three sure-fire ways to hunker down a hard penis:
- Hit the powder room and take a tinkle. Most times, everything goes back to normal and you can go about your day.
- Masturbate. What a great way to embrace the day – embrace your penis. Carpe the lube and get to rubbing!
- If you have a person in bed next to you, get some consent and then knock dem boots. Like number two, it’s a wonderful way to start a normally ho-hum Wednesday! Since testosterone is at its highest and you just concluded several hours of relaxation and repair, morning sex can be quite energetic and fulfilling.
More than Just Morning Erections: 7 Things You Can Do to Build Stronger Erections
For any man that wants to optimize on his current morning erection status, there are a few things he can do:
1) Keep all your regular check-ups and see your doctor whenever you think something might be “off.” Also, conduct a penis exam monthly (but weekly is better) and be sure to report anything out of the ordinary.
2) Get regular exercise as it gets the blood pumping…everywhere.
3) Eat a heart-healthy diet to not only promote a healthy lifestyle but also to keep erection-evils like high blood pressure and heart disease at bay.
4) Don’t smoke. ‘Nuff said.
5) Manage stress because erections are not just physical, they’re mental too.
6) Keep your penis squeaky clean to keep bacteria out and infections away. Wash daily with warm water and a gentle cleanser, being sure to get down in the folds of the skin and pulling back the foreskin. Rinse well and air dry.
7) Use a specially formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) daily. This extra step delivers critical penis health promoters like vitamins like A, B, C, and D, as well as Arginine, which is a vasodilator (the medical term for boner booster). Apply after every cleansing for best results.
What’s Up with Morning Erections? Here are the Reasons Why Men Get Erections During Sleep
By John Dugan