Unique Digital Collections
TIMELINE FOR TODAY
SEPTEMBER 2012-MAY 2013
Key priorities coming out of I2NY
Tremendous opportunity for LAMs
Understanding the DPLA Structure
- Inaugural meeting
- Implementation considerations
- Time frame
- Stakeholder input/participation
- Financial resources
- Relationships between participants and DPLA
- METRO Board of Trustees commitment
- NY 3Rs Association commitment
- ESDN is "launched"
- Project Manager
- Metadata Specialist
- Technology Specialist
- NY 3Rs Association Liaisons
PROJECT MANAGER | ROLES & Skills
- Responsible for setting team and project priorities, coordinating team communication and managing the project timeline.
- Participates in selection and implementation of project tools, technology, workflow and staffing.
- Coordinates communication with ESDN governance, including advisory committee and working groups.
- Liaises with DPLA about ESDN data models, data exchange agreement, technology infrastructure and outreach activities/events.
- Performs or coordinates outward facing project communication, maintaining ESDN microsite and social media channels, and participating in other outreach activities and relevant panels and presentations.
- Communicates with other hub managers regarding systems, software, processes and priorities.
- Coordinates Partner Agreement Letters and other rights related issues.
- Needs: Strong project management, communication and collaboration skills. OAI-PMH and metadata schema awareness. Knowledge of library practices and data formats including XML, OAI-PMH, MODS, MARC and Dublin Core.
PROJECT MANAGER | ROLES & SKILLS
METADATA SPECIALIST | ROLES & SKILLS
- Coordinates OAI-PMH harvesting and data ingest processes and workflows.
- Develops/maintains metadata crosswalks from various protocols and schemas to the ESDN data model.
- Performs hands-on data clean-up/transformation/remediation tasks using established project tools and workflows.
- Communicates w/ metadata working group & other project partners to establish data sharing protocols, best practices, and data ingest workflows
- Needs: Demonstrated knowledge of library cataloging practices and metadata schemas, including DC, MODS, marcxml, and others; OAI-PMH and metadata schema awareness; demonstrated familiarity with ability to learn and use data transformation tools and processes to transform data. Strong communication and collaboration skills.
TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST | ROLES & SKILLS
- Manages data normalization in chosen ingest solution system.
- Envisions and develops custom programming solutions to streamline project workflows.
- Develops custom XSLT or other scripted solutions to facilitate data ingest/transformation processes.
- Eventually works with DPLA API to repurpose ESDN data.
Kerri Wilette, ESDN Manager
Chris Stanton, Metadata Specialist
John Mignault, Technology Specialist
...plus dozens of people providing in-kind support throughout the state
- Advisory Committee
- Metadata Working Group
- Regional Outreach Group
- Other hubs
Manage collection development and set priorities
for digitization of resources.
Secure funding for digitization of their resources.
Digitize resources into acceptable format(s)
following ESDN standards.
Assure and clearly designate usage rights.
Assure privacy and other legal considerations.
Assign metadata according to requirements and
standards established by the ESDN.
Notify ESDN when new collections are ready
for harvest and promotion.
NY 3Rs RESPONSIBILITIES
Assisting members in digitizing collections.
Assisting members in preparing existing digital collections.
Developing guidelines for participation.
Hosting workshops, webcasts, and provide one-on-one consultations for existing and potential regional partners.
- Hire the project team.
- Convene Advisory Committee and working groups.
- Select and implement harvesting/aggregation tools.
- Ingest content from identified Phase 1 contributors.
- Data transformations
- Data Exchange Agreement
- Partner agreements
- Communication & outreach
- Not a portal
- Not a CMS
- Not a DAMs
- Backend aggregation via OAI=PMH
- Getting our hands dirty
- Testing processes/workflows
- Are we meeting ingest goals?
- Premium on responsiveness/flexibility
- Building capacity in our participants
- Active contributors to the DPLA community
PHASE TWO: 2015-2016
- Outreach & Education
- Education & Outreach
- New participant cohort
- New Technology
- Single point of access for NY
- Shared documentation to support similar hubs
- It's not about the technology
- Budget lean and repurpose existing digital services
- Plan for a lot of education
- Join the community
EMPIRE STATE DIGITAL NETWORK
By Metropolitan New York Library Council