Full time localization professional, Writer and Journalist
Rajesh Ranjan Chandrakant D.
Chandrakant started a thread on libreoffice-marketing list
Kannan, Rajesh, Chandrakant discussed on the thread with Charles
- We knew that very few activity for libreoffice promotion is happening
- So decided to have a meet-up - meet-up for ideation - something like how to start with libreoffice in India
Current Scenario - Language
Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
English - Stuart Swales
Gujarati - Ankit Patel
Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
Nepali - Saaz Rai
Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
Punjabi - A S Alam
Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir
Current Scenario - Promotion
- Large number of self instructional audio video, tutorials on LibreOffice, in English (about 60), and with audio dubbed into many Indian languages (a total of about 500)
- SELF workshops on LibreOffice and a to a lesser extent on Linux - being done by same group - Thanks to Kannan and team - wonderful project
- Red Hat has language team, lots are contributing in l10n work
C-DAC has been involved in training (face-to-face) various Govt. offices and educational institutions
- Tamilnadu govt switching over to BOSS, some more office switching to Fedora and other - good for libreoffice
- Kannan Trying to come up with Print edition of LibreOffice Manuals (500 copies) to promote LibreOffice in colleges, who need a "printed book" for the software to be included in their curriculum - awesome!
- Chandrakant request to create new teams for all those that are are not present on the Document Foundation page of language teams
- Dictionary & spell-checker for Libreoffice/OOo - Aspell & hunspell
have been stagnant for quite long
- Cliparts - some Indian specific artwork/graphics/icons.
- Templates or Style guide on Indic text layout/styling in documents,
presentations, graphics. This could also give tips on how to do DTP
like work in Libreoffice
- Font packs - say a meta package could be defined - libreoffice-hindi-fonts , which would go ahead and pull all available
Karunakar's suggestions on Indlinux
- How do we raise brand awareness on LibreOffice in India
- Are there specific approaches we can take to promote and have people
- Download LibreOffice? Is the distribution of physical supports (cd-roms, usb keys) a better way?
- LibreOffice is meant for pretty much everyone, but do we have to target a key population at first?
- LibreOffice is a community too: can we attract volunteers, developers, localizers, QA testers, documentation writers?
- Start with small scale event somewhere in India and see who shows up. Repeat these events around the country.
Brainstrom for LibreOffice India
लिब्रेऑफिस के लिए माथापच्ची कीजिए
By Rajesh Ranjan