If you can Dream It,
you can Do It
19 Jan 2019
Software developer / Consultant
Google Developer Expert for Assistant, IoT, Wearables, Identity
Tell me about you
- Mobile or web?
- Alexa or Assistant?
- Mac vs Windows?
- Magic Kingdom? Epcot? Hollywood Studios? Animal Kingdom?
What are we talking about?
What is the Google Assistant?
between you and Google that helps you get things done
in your world.
What are Actions on Google?
Actions on Google is the API
that lets you engage in conversations
with other services
through the Google Assistant.
How do we build an Action?
What can Actions do?
- Query databases based on what the user is asking.
- Collect responses from the user (such as a form) and save them.
- Get some information about the user, with their permission.
- Fun things: Quizzes, personality tests, RPGs, quotes.
Can you express it as a conversation?
You're doing it wrong
- Figure out what you want your code to do.
- Decide how you're going to present those results.
- "Build a screen" to get inputs.
Beware of picking up hitchhiking personalities.
Finally, the code
Adding an API
Google Sign In for Assistant
Credentials with Google Sign In for Assistant
Keep in mind...
- Remember the user's context
- Vary your responses
- Intents are what the user says,
not how you respond.
- Internationalization has new twists
Multivocal makes it easier
- Reduce boilerplate.
- Use sane defaults
- Session storage
- Suffixes and prompting
- Make it easy to override those defaults.
- Code generates results/values.
- Responses through configuration
- Most of what you need to do - you already know how to do.
- Create a personality first and write scripts for that personality.
- Remember to write your scripts how people actually talk. Test this.
- Intents are what the user says and does, not how you respond.
- Don't mix your logic and your response.
Stack Overflow: actions-on-google
If you can Dream It, you can Do It with the Google Assistant
By Allen “Prisoner” Firstenberg