Journey that lead us into
Who am I?
My name is Arun, and I work as a
Frontend Developer @ Assembly
We wanted to deliver quality code, which doesn't break
We were sold on the idea, of adding Unit Test with good coverage
Expectation was to ship code with confidence
Follow TDD principles
Practising TDD with JEST & React Testing Library was harder
Unit tests were written with components in mind not with user
The unit tests were not helping us do refactoring confidently, as refactoring often broke the unit tests too, and refactoring code also means refactoring unit tests.
Test Driven Development
What is Playwright
- Open source, cross browser, automation framework
- Developed and maintained by Microsoft
- Close to 45K stars, 200 contributers & has 86 releases so far
- Playwright is built for testing modern app, it has features like auto-waiting and web first assertions (So no flaky tests).
- Playwright creates what we call browser context for each test, delivering full test isolation.
- Comes with very good tooling support, like codegen for automated test generation, inspector to debug and step through tests
VS Code Extension
Ways to find element on page at any moment with auto-wait capability
Playwright uses jest's assert library for assertions
How did we approach
Acceptance Test Driven Development
Let's connect @arunselvakumar
Learn more about Assembly
By Arun Selva Kumar