designer//developer//star wars fanboy
DESIGNING FOR DRUPAL
Designer / Developer at
William Newton's drawing from Ryan Germick
I draw a lot of my information and inspiration from this article. I am an evangelist of the Design Pyramid.
Start with the Why.
- Foundation for the whole project
- Simon Sinek - TEDtalk
- Keep it simple
Identifying functionality within your site based on the user's wants and needs.
The site is not the beginning or end
How do they relate to the site?
- Understand their expectations
- User Stories should relate to the mission
- Content is King
Testing as User Research
- Best data comes from larger control groups
- BUT!? The BUDGET!
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy by Steve Krug
Now you can “design”
This is the most important part
Look & Feel is tertiary to Mission and User Stories
The design is easy only after a lot of work.
- Style Tiles
- Style Guides
- Hi-fi Mockups
- Very flexible
- Gives client a tactile experience
- Removes guesswork
Drupal + Design = Magic
Stay Hands On
- Design-only - stay vigilant
- Make sure no detail is spared
- Unicorns - STAY VIGILANT
- you know that designers are detailed
- you have no excuse
Go over the top.
Go from 'good' to 'GRRREAT'
- Take it up a notch
- Don't ever stop at the execution phase!
- Element states
Codrops are your friend.
So is Patterntap by Zurb
And... The Best Designs
Follow me @ghanbak
Follow us @brunelloinc
Designing for Drupal
By Ethan MacDonald