Web services and apps
Who am I?
- My name is Silvia Puglisi, some known me as Hiro.
- I work at the Tor Project.
- I am also part of the Information Security Group in the Department of Telematics Engineering at UPC-Barcelona where I got my Ph.D.
- I research topics in the fields of privacy and anonymity of users on the web, in online communities and social networks.
What is Tor
Tor is a privacy tool
- Tor is free software
- Tor is a diverse group of developers, researchers, relay operators, volunteers
- Tor is an open network
- Tor is a non-profit
What does Tor do?
- Tor provides privacy
- Tor provides anonymity
- Tor provides communication security
- Tor provides a traffic analysis resistant communication network
- Tor provides reachability against censorship
How we work @ Tor
- We try to self-host as much as we can without retaining too much data
- We use tools that work well with the Tor Browser Bundle
- We use free software
- We use tools that are privacy friendly
- We use tools that we can trust
How we work @ Tor
- irc (oftc.net)
- emails (alias)
- webwml/lektor for static websites
What I do @ Tor
The admin team at the Tor project maintains our infrastructure and services.
Within the admin team we have sysadmins and services admins.
Sysadmins do not maintain every service that we offer. Rather, they maintain the underlying computers – make sure they get package updates, make sure they stay on the network, etc.
Then it's up to the service admins to keep their services (onionoo, atlas, blog, etc) working as intended.
- 0-3 months: figurining out where I was ;)
- 3-6 months: propose changes to services
- 6-12 month: consolidate services and infrastructure
Use salt to orchestrate VMs
A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts...
A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding...
William Gibson, Neuromancer
1 year at tor