28th OCCC Session
Taxonomy & Standardization Work Group
Hamid R. Qavami
Standard (Gen.) Definition
- A level of quality
- Something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations
- used or accepted as normal or average (adj)
(International Organization for Standardization)
is an independent, non-governmental membership organization and the world's largest developer of voluntary International Standards.
Standard (ISO) Definition
A document that provides:
to ensure that materials, products, processes and services are fit for their purpose.
Benefits of using
Ensure that products and services
- Good quality
Strategic tools that reduce costs by minimizing waste and errors, and increasing productivity.
Help to access new markets, level the playing field for developing countries and facilitate free and fair global trade.
Don't say: "ISO certified" or "ISO certification"
This is performed by external certification bodies, thus a company or organization cannot be certified by ISO.
DO say: "ISO 9001:2008 certified" or "ISO 9001:2008 certification" (for example).
- The Condition of Standardization in the Country (Specially IT sector)
- Standard are Best Practices, but Best for whom?
- Are all of them Global?!
- Standard as Law or a Culture?
By Hamid Reza Qavami