(a fork of Attic-Backup)
"I found the Holy Grail of backups."
(Stavros K. about Attic-Backup, 8/2013)
GPN19 presentation by Thomas Waldmann
Borg Backup - Features
- cli backup tool, separate GUIs
- good arch / platform / fs support
- deduplication (content-defined chunking / hash-id)
- compression (lz4, zstd, zlib, lzma)
- auth. encryption (AES256 + hmac/blake2)
read from locally mounted fs
store to local fs or to remote borg
FUSE-mount backup archives
Borg Backup - remote backup
Own server with ssh and free space:
- install borg, configure, done!
No own remote server? No problem:
- rsync.net (ssh, cli)
- hetzner's storage box
- borgbase.com (ssh, web, easy)
- mutual backups "nerd-to-nerd"
- local repo + rclone to cloud
Borg Backup - GUIs, Tools
Vorta - a GUI for borg
- Python 3.6+, Qt, Linux or macOS, GPL v3
- assimilate less nerdy friends with this!
borgmatic - define borg jobs by config file
For more tools, see:
- github: borgbackup/community
- and please add your borg stuff there!
Borg Backup - Project
FOSS (BSD license)
Python 3.4+ (master: 3.5+)
for speed: a little Cython & C
good docs (for users, devs)
good test coverage, travis CI
vagrant for platform testing
Borg Backup - Status
- 1.0.13 "oldstable" (last release?)
1.1.10 "stable" (ongoing releases)
"hydrogen" milestone (1.2?):
- code cleanups / refactorings / drop py34
- new internal crypto api (AEAD style)
- new repo compaction handling
"helium", ... milestones:
- bigger crypto changes
We need more contributors!
- developers (Python, Cython, C)
- testers (alpha/beta/rc, reproduce issues)
- docs maintainers (reST / sphinx)
- community supporters (ML / github)
- security reviewers
- sponsors / donations (via BountySource)
Questions / Feedback / Meet?
Find me at the conference.
Or use IRC, github issues or the mailing list.
E-Mail: Thomas Waldmann <tw @ waldmann - edv . de>
BorgBackup LT 35c3 (updated 2018-12)
By Thomas Waldmann