- Free (F)
- This is a loaded term in English
- gratis: free donuts!
- ====> libre: free speech <====
Open Source Software (OSS)
- Source code can be modified and shared
- Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G)
- Geo subset of the FOSS world
Critical Data Visualization
Will Geary (@wgeary)
"The view of infinite vision is an illusion, a god trick."
"Maps reflect and perpetuate relations of power"
Purpose of Data Visualization
Empowering Civil Society with PostgreSQL
Data: Open Data & persistent open records requests
Tools: PostgreSQL & QGIS
The Middle Passage: Open Source Gets Old(er)
Paul Ramsey (@pwramsey)
- ...and more!
Example: Processing Runkeeper GPX Data
Examples: Query Raleigh CitrixCycle Data
- Change a cell, all dependent cells update (i.e. no hidden state)
- Still a very new project
- Active community
You might even get help from one of Observable's developers!
- Entwine: Utility that tiles point clouds for more efficient retrieval and rendering
- Potree: Browser-based point cloud viewer
- PDAL: Utility for translating and manipulating point clouds (GDAL for point clouds)
- USGS 3D Elevation Program LiDAR Point Clouds
Drones + Cesium
Source: Propeller Aero
Dashboarding w/ Elasticsearch & Kibana
- Search & analytics engine
- Quickly query large, unstructured data
- Rapidly growing support of spatial querying
- Graphical user interface for running queries
- Rich, interactive dashboarding
- Share dashboards to web or as images
Thanks for listening!
FOSS4G-NA 2019 Redux