Matt Cromwell is Head of Support and Community Outreach at WordImpress. He's also: Admin of Advanced WordPress Facebook Group and blogs at givewp.com, and mattcromwell.com.
Meeting Your Customers Where They are at
by Matt Cromwell
WordCamp Las Vegas
September 19, 2015
WHERE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS At?
PLACE OF PAIN or EXCITEMENT
MYTH: THOSE PLACES DON'T "CONVERT"
- Online, there is no "Point of Sale" anymore
- Support isn't tied to Conversion, it's tied to Brand Awareness and Customer Loyalty
- They DO Convert. You just don't have the metrics to measure those conversions.
MYTH: I'm NOT GOING TO DO FREE SUPPORT
- For Freemium Products, "Free" Support is Gold
EXCEPTION: SUPPORT LICENSES
- Free plugin, paid support
- Free support forum for bug reporting (very valuable)
MYTH: I CAN'T PROBLEM SOLVE IN 140 Characters or LESS
- You don't have to
- Just "Be Human", be courteous
- Be an on-ramp to a good ticket
MYTH: I DON'T DO EMAIL SUPPORT
- All Roads Lead to Gmail
- Answer Every Email -- The Zero Inbox is not a myth
- Keep Email Transactional
WHITE GLOVE SERVICE
MYTH: MY PLUGIN IS ALREADY INTUITIVE
- It's not
- Not necessarily to everyone
- Descriptions don't hurt anyone (unless they're badly written)
MYTH: NO ONE READS DOCS
- Can they find your docs?
- Do you write "User Docs" instead of "List Docs" or "Developer Docs"?
- They do read docs.
GIVE ANALYTICS FROM AUGUST
MYTH: I CAN'T HANDHOLD EVERYONE
- If you have to handhold everyone, something is wrong
- If you're not willing to handhold, you're in the wrong business
- Hand holding is education, you're "Paying it Forward" for the next developer (which might be you!)
READY TO BUY
READY TO SMEAR
READY TO CHEAR
MYTH: PEOPLE DECIDE TO BUY FOR THE FEATURES ONLY
- When's the last time you bought a car from a brand you didn't know?
- They ask you about Pro to see how you work as a team.
- They want to make sure you'll be around in a year or more.
MYTH: ONLY DISGRUNTLED USERS LEAVE REVIEWS
- Do you ASK?
- 46 5-Star Reviews on Give
MYTH: WORDPRESS USERS EXPECT THE WORLD FOR FREE
- You might be desperate for sales, they are desperate for solutions
- In Open Source and WordPress, generosity begets generosity
- Meet them at social media, and they'll respond with social media
SUPPORT YOUR USERS AT ALL COSTS
GO FROM THIS
I'm Matt Cromwell
WorPress Community Consultant for
Brand Ambassador and Head of Support at WordImpress.com
By Matt Cromwell