Using Social Media to
Amplify Your School Walkout
April 20 - 10 AM
- April 20th - What's happened to our schools since Columbine?
- The power of student walkouts
- How social media can help
- Targets and Platforms
- Great content
- Tips and tricks
- Live video
- Know your rights!
why remember columbine?
April 20, 1999
The Columbine High School shooting sparked a national debate about gun violence and school safety.
- Hundreds of millions invested in school police and surveillance
- School-to-prison pipeline gets worse
- Schools don't get safer
- School Police = False Solution to School Violence
Students of color are disproportionately criminalized for low level offenses and routine misbehavior.
The Future We Want: Our Demands
- Divestment from school police officers
- Comprehensive mental and emotional health services
- More guidance counselors and social workers
- Expansion of restorative justice practices
- Protection for students and families from ICE arrests around schools
- Gun control that does not result in targeted policing of Black and Brown bodies
the power of walkouts
- Demonstration of youth power
- Disrupting "business as usual"
- Command attention
- Tactic in broader campaign
- Opportunity to educate
ACTION + VISIBILITY = POWER
|your peers||Use existing networks, meet people where they are. Speak their language, convince them to join you. Think about next steps.|
|school officials||Use platforms that are permanent. Make your case. Show you care. Make demands, suggestion. Demonstrate pride in your school.|
|legislators||Know who represents you. Know what matters to them. Know what's going on in your legislature.|
|the media||Provide an insider's perspective. Tell the real story. Emphasize your message. Twitter is key!|
Show what adults can't see.
Make your message clear.
tweak your bio
always use a #hashtag
tag your location
tag folks who can lift you up
using live video
- Go long
- Let folks know in advance
- Don't worry about repeating yourself
know your rights
Copy of WalkOutForWhat
By Andrew Ambrogi