Road Completion in Belgium - Mapping & verifying *all* the roads
'State of the Map' in Belgium
- Excellent basemap.
- Excellent state of transport-related data
- Good quality road network.
- Good quality transit data.
- Reasonable landuse.
- Basic address coverage
How far along are we?
How do we know?
What if things change?
Not about importing data!
Not about changing the way we map!
- Completeness & quality assurances.
- Change detection, spot changes faster
Road Completion Project
- Compare OSM <-> Other data
- Convert source data (shapefiles, wegenregister)
- ogr2ogr : reproject and convert to geojson
- nodejs : convert attributes to OSM-tags
=> this makes the comparion process independent of source.
- mapbox/tippecanoe : split into vector tiles
- Distributed comparison process:
- mapbox/tilereduce : process tiles in parallel.
- 13900 cases, mostly driveways
-> only 1842 fixed
-> we don't want random people doing it
-> even 'heavy' mappers make it difficult
https://road-completion.osm.be/#15.74/50.874343/4.422588 => different methodology.
https://road-completion.osm.be/#17.2/50.873231/4.406509 => false positive
https://road-completion.osm.be/#18.59/50.8662248/4.3984346 => missing parking
https://road-completion.osm.be/#16.6/50.804377/4.40805 => an actual missing street!
- Verify OSM road network.
- Generate quality metrics for OSM roads in Belgium.
Do this is in the open, use open-source tools and open-data so everyone can run their own!
"We don't want to provide our data on a bad network."
"The OSM license doesn't allow combining it with our data."
"Anyone can modify OSM, you have to be crazy to use it!"
- A costless (or very cheap) datasource.
- Quality checked and verified.
- Almost always up-to-date.
Who can compete with this?
Road Completion @ SOTM - Towards a quality checked and complete open road network for Belgium [OSM]
By Ben Abelshausen