Building an app
Why, what, and how?
Hi, I'm Chris
Building apps is hard
Why build an app?
Save time & money
Test that you have a business
"I'm going to use machine learning to..."
"Everyone is my customer!"
"I have everything planned out."
What kind of app?
Chat (e.g. Facebook)
Voice (e.g. Alexa)
Be data driven
- Don’t trust your instincts
- Don’t get feedback from friends and family
- Build relationships with potential users first
Be careful what you wish for
- More features, more complexity... more bugs
- Simple is often complex
- Complex is often simple
Learn to code
- Technically Wrong, Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- Just Enough Research, Erika Hall
- Don't Make Me Think: Revisited, Steve Krug
Building an app: why, what, and how?
By Chris Fritz