“technology is not neutral”
last updated: 27 April 2022
Questionably Trained "AI" is everywhere
Timnit Gebru: “Datasheets for Datasets”:
- intervening in underspecified "data dumps"
- Also, working towards a community standard for sharing data collections?
No international standards organization (yet?)
Where do we learn about the basis of NLP training models in the software documentation or tutorials?
Timnit Gebru in Trouble at Google
See MIT Review's summary of the article that led to her exit
- Carbon footprint of AI training
- Datasets are too large and underspecified
- smaller, curated datasets aren't funded
- cost/benefit: improvements in training aren't encouraged/funded
Google's data ethicist, until 2020
Data ethics, text analysis at scale...
And what about your projects? ? ?
AI, Text Analysis, Data Ethics
By Elisa Beshero-Bondar