progress. tech. cats. coffee. art. food. photog. mpls.
Internet of Things (Iot)
INSERT COIN TO START
I am Joe Karlsson
What is a game?
- System in which players engage in an artificial conflict, defined by rules, that result in a quantifiable outcome.
Gamification is bringing game design elements to non-game contexts (IRL)
Gamification is all about making meaningful improvement through positive engagements
So, basically games can make people take actions that they normally wouldn't make in a positive way
What it's not
Where is it used?
- Traffic Violations
- Voter Apathy
- Improve engagement
What is "good" gamification?
- Clear Rules/Targets/Objectives
- Rewards balances with challenge
- Sense of Achievement
- Skills Development
- Clear purpose for why?
- Is it fun?
So In Conclusion:
Should I just add points and a leaderboard and badges to my thing?
- Points are meaningless if your idea is boring.
- Points should be accrued in the background while the player is having fun
- Good game design is key to success
- (As a generalization) Men tend to be more inclined to competition
- Physical Awards are geared more towards young people
- Think - What would a middle-aged banker want?
Small Group Activity
Brainstorm the following
- What are your gamification Ideas
- How can you use IoT?
(+10 points for completing presentation)
I'm not an expert on this stuff
Check out these great talks from people who know what they are talking about
I did make an open source Gamification Server tho
By Joe Karlsson