Software Engineer based out of Washington DC. Working at TrackMaven!
Using AWS Lambda with Zappa
Who am I?
- Josh Finnie
- Senior Software Maven @ TrackMaven
What is AWS Lambda?
AWS Lambda is an event-driven, serverless computing platform provided by Amazon as a part of the Amazon Web Services. 
Why AWS Lambda?
- AWS Lambda is CHEAP! 
- First 1 million requests per month are free
- $0.20 per 1 million requests thereafter ($0.0000002 per request)
- $0.00001667 per GB-second used for app use.
This is going to be a bit of a live-coding demo. Please stop and ask questions as we go along.
Tools Used in this demo:
$ pip install flask zappa
Why this demo:
- It is "Something new I want to learn in 2017."
- At TrackMaven, we are moving to a more micro-service type architecture, and some services do not need a server!
Let's Live Code!
What you've missed...
$ zappa init $ zappa deploy dev // initial deployment...
Things to note:
- Yes, you can do private environment variables. 
- The API Gateway magic in Zappa is REALLY magic, and would not recommend editing yourself. (I have tried and failed...)
I am @joshfinnie everywhere, these slides will be at http://joshfinnie.com/talks/ soon-ish!
Flask, Zappa, and AWS Lambda
By Josh Finnie