Volunteer contributor with the Wikimedia Foundation & Co-Founder of ThinkFOSS [ Random Python and PHP freak ]
Tony Thomas, live at fossmeet.in
[ 28:02:2016 14:00] @nitc
Can anything be done in
3 hours ?
- First 5 mins - Why am I here ?
- Next 15 mins - Introduction to MediaWiki software, how to contribute.
- Then 2 hour 40 mins - Setup MediaWiki in your machine, talk more while cloning.
- CS final year student at Amrita University
- Active FOSS@Amrita member
- Develops in PHP, Python
- Considerable amount ( ~200 ) bug fix since 2013
- GSoC 2014 student with Wikimedia, project deployed
- Mentored GSoC 2015 with Wikimedia Foundation
- GSoC 2016 & Outreachy'12 org admin with Wikimedia
- Invited to talk at SFO, Lyon, Wikimania 2015 ( Mexico ), Jerusalem ( March 2016 )
- Co - founded ThinkFOSS ( www.thinkfoss.com )
def show_off( self ):
but, lets stick to
Git -Version control system for collaborative development
Mediawiki - Open Source wiki software, on which run the Wikipedia
Wikimedia Foundation - The organization which maintains MediaWiki and ~1000 popular wikis
IRC - Internet Relay Chat, where developers hang out
Bug - issue in code which needs a patch
Patch - code change, which fix something
GSoC - Paid Internship sponsored by Google
Outreachy - GSoC.remove(males);
My goals for this 3 hours
- Get more people contributing to Open Source projects
- Increase GSoC/Outreachy selects rate from Kerala
your take ...
- Know a bit of how to contribute to MediaWiki
- Read instructions, follow commands, fix issues coming up ( setting up MediaWiki in your machine )
- Even fix a bug ( in 3 hours ? yeah )
How to contribute
Warning : Boring slides ahead
There are loads of ways to contribute
Fixing code, Documentation, Quality assurance, Outreach, Design etc. etc.
Open Source projects
- Code available for public to alter
- alteration made to public code - patch
- Maintainers review, merge and verify patch
- Next release got the patch
Any minimum requirements ?
- Find and get answers from Google
- Should be cool with the project language
- Be super expressive, ask questions in text
Few things you need to know...
before you start off
How can others know
I am working on this bug ?
Do I have to find
bugs on my own ?
How can someone review my works,
and test if I did it wrong ?
- Bug tracker
- Developed by Facebook
- Code Review Tool
- Developed by Google
mw has your patch
Now its time to
read instructions and follow
Contributing to MediaWiki
By Tony Thomas