Volunteer contributor with the Wikimedia Foundation & Co-Founder of ThinkFOSS [ Random Python and PHP freak ]
Lets hack MediaWiki
First night, live at IITM #iitwmhack
Tony Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org
How boring is it ?
10 pm - 4 am
23 - 25 Jan
- CS Undergrad at Amrita University
- Active FOSS@Amrita member
- Develops in PHP and Python ( Django )
- Considerable ( ~200 ) MediaWiki bug fixes since 2013
- GSoC 2014 student with Wikimedia, project deployed
- Mentored GSoC 2015 with Wikimedia Foundation
- Outreachy organization admin, Wikimedia Foundation
- Invited to talk at SFO, Lyon & to Wikimania ( Mexico )
- Co-founded ThinkFOSS ( www.thinkfoss.com )
We are looking for experts in FOSS who are willing to teach and mentor
a bunch of students and spread awareness about FOSS.
Instead of focusing only on awareness, it would be better if participants are taught some topics on foss
and made to work on real life problems in foss.
Git - Version control system for collaborative development
Mediawiki - Open Source wiki software, on which run the Wikipedia
Wikimedia Foundation - The organization which maintains MediaWiki and ~1000 popular wikis
IRC - Internet Relay Chat, where developers hang out
Bug - issue in code which needs a patch
Patch - code change, which fix something
GSoC - Paid Internship sponsored by Google
Outreachy - GSoC.remove(males);
What we will be doing..
Get to know Open Source projects
Get to know 'How to contribute'
Get your copy of an Open Source project*
* using MediaWiki, the open source wiki software
Know and Contribute
Warning : Boring slides ahead, please dont lookup
Open Source projects
- Code available for public to alter
- alteration made to public code - patch
- Maintainers review, merge and verify patch
- Next release got the patch
Any minimum requirements ?
- Find and get answers from Google
- Should be cool with the project language
- Be super expressive, ask questions in text
By the end of night 1
- Understand how basic web application works
- Get to know git
by night 2..
- Setup gerrit and clone Mediawiki Core
- Select simple bugs to work upon from Phabricator
and by night 3..
- Work on your first bug, fix it
- Work on your second bug, know about further steps
What is your take ?
- Gather and improve your skills, not certs
- Immediate and valid addition to your CV
and maybe one day ...
- bet the star in your organization
- join an org / start your own company
surely, you can ..
- Participate in GSoC/Outreachy programs
- Travel abroad talking and having fun
Tools I will be using
* and you will be forced to use :D
Lets join IRC
#iitwmhack on freenode IRC
From this moment
Less talk, more code
Lets hack Mediawiki
By Tony Thomas