Volunteer contributor with the Wikimedia Foundation & Co-Founder of ThinkFOSS [ Random Python and PHP freak ]
ThinkFOSS web team
Day 1, Live at SCET, Thrissur
this is my message
- CS undergrad student at Amrita University
- Active member of FOSS@Amrita - our club
- Develops web in Python and PHP
- Considerable ( ~ 200 ) bug fixes to Mediawiki since 2013
- GSoC 2014 student with Wikimedia, project deployed
- Mentored for GSoC 2015 with Wikimedia Foundation
- Outreachy'11 organization admin, Wikimedia Foundation
- Invited to talk at SFO, Lyon & to Wikimania ( Mexico )
- Organization admin for GSoC 2016, Wikimedia Foundation
- Co-Founded ThinkFOSS ( www.thinkfoss.com )
ThinkFOSS web team
- Final year CS Undergrads, Amrita University
- The Python-Django team
- Develops web for fun and profit
- wrote and deployed www.thinkfoss.com
- wrote and deployed wshops.thinkfoss.com
- wrote and deployed www.healthxplore.com
The Django Framework
- wrote Rest API's for an IOT infrastructure
want beginner friendly web framework workshop, for different batches of Computer Science who had not taken any Python Add-on courses before.
students should get to know about opportunities in Open Source like Google Summer of Code, Outreachy etc.
Before we start ..
Git - version control system used to track progress in Open Source development
Web frontend - what you see in your browser
Web backend - your db connections, data retrieval, storing
Web Framework - Mature library which makes web development easy
Python Django - rapid web development framework
IRC - place where developers hang out
What we will be doing
- Learn how to develop web the bad way
- Get to know how to do it in a better way
- Get to know about various opportunities awaiting CS undergrads
or more specifically ..
By the end of day 1..
- Understand how web development works
- Understand and use git
- Understand MVC Frameworks!
- Setup and fire Django in your machine
- Use templates, complete simple sign in and registration
- Take a look at the admin site :)
and by the end of day 2..
- Check out some generic views
- Add these to your website
- Implement OAuth \m/
and finally before we leave..
- Check out how a search engine can work
- Implement a search engine in your web application
- Some basic debugging, and if Lucky - RESTAPI's
what is your take ?
- be a star in your organization
- join some open source org/start your own
surely, you can ..
- contribute to Open Source projects
- Participate in GSoC/Outreachy round
- Travel abroad having fun
and maybe one day ..
- Improve your web development skills
- Understand an MVC framework
- an immediate addition to your CV
Lets get started
Django Workshop, day 1 - intro
By Tony Thomas