WordPress Maintenance @fixupfox. On the Internet, everyone knows I'm a dog.
Is it Moral to Click Like?
Ethics on the Web
What Is Ethics?
Ethics Is Not Feelings
Ethics Is Not Religious Morals
Ethics Is Not What is Legal
Ethics is not Cultural Norms
Ethics is Not Science
Greater Good / Utilitarianism
Rights / Libertarianism
Justice / Fairness
Virtues / Values
Self Driving Cars
Social Credit Systems
Developer Blind Spots
Areas of Focus
- Information Overload
- Digital Divide
- Intellectual Property
- Open Access
What Can We Do?
- Is this about legality or rights?
- What are the tradeoffs to this choice?
- Can stakeholders be identified?
- Have relevant options been weighed?
Determine a Framework
- What will do most good/least harm (Utilitarian)
- Which decision respects individuals (Rights)
- Which option treats people equally (Justice)
- What best serves the community (Common Good)
- Which choice serves my aspirational need (Virtue)
Be Jeff Goldblum
Don't made decisions around what you can do, make them about what you should do.
WordCamp Jacksonville - Is it Moral to Click Like? Ethics on the Web.
By David Wolfpaw