Erik Champion, Curtin University
Curtin Cultural Makathon 10-11/11/16
Glam VR, Cultural Makathon
Thanks to a Curtin MCCA Strategic Grant six reseachers and Library staff at Curtin University bought Virtual reality and Augmented reality equipment and ran two events to help staff develop digital prototypes and experiences using cultural data resources and digital humanities tools and techniques
11/11/2016 Curtin Cultural Makathon 20 registrations
(and the following slides are on this latest event).
- 26/08/2016 (PM) Cultural Datasets In a Game Engine (UNITY) & Augmented Reality Workshop 34 registrations
- 26/08/2016 (AM) GLAM VR: talks on Digital heritage, scholarly making & experiential media 49 registrations-twitter: #GLAMVR16
earlier that day (10 Nov 2016)..
TROVE API Workshop
Kathryn Greenhill and Janice Chan of Curtin University organized a TROVE API exporting to Excel workshop.
I explained a bit about what an API is, analysed a Trove API query and then gave participants an activity to do. The activity is below the slides...
Judges for the Makathon
We are honoured to have the following people as judges:
Damian Shepherd, Acting General Manager SPUR, Landgate
Colin Walker, Executive Director, Arts & Cultural Development, DCA
Michele Willson, HoS, Media Culture & Creative Arts, Curtin University
Piers Higgs, Director, Gaia Resources
NB between Damian & Colin are Drew and Nau, overall prize winners
- Appropriate and imaginative application of one or more sets of cultural data
- Design elegance
- Usability and usefulness
- Audience engagement
- Market potential or research community significance
Thursday-intro'ing data mentors
The Process Varied
..Yoga & Pizza..
..West Australian jokes...
..Melody & Chaos
More social than technical
- Team name: Melody in Chaos
Project brief: Creating melody from network operations traffic
Datasets used: Network Operations Traffic Data MRWA
Methods/tools used: SQL to data aggregation, arcGIS for data visualisation, Excel, musescore for music creation and mandolintab.net
Dropbox/Google drive/GitHub URL: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwwd6ozpnpzayw1/AACh2QRPKyELR3C397GAecQya?dl=0
- Team name: Kip - an iOS JCPML Image Viewer
- Project brief: Develop an iPhone app to allow browsing of JCPML images
- Datasets used: JCPML Picture Australia
- Methods/tools used: Swift, UIKit, Xcode
- Dropbox/Google drive/GitHub URL: https://github.com/mttrb/Kip
Michael Wiebrands & Sebastian Becker (Curtin Student)
- Team name: The John Sanders VR Experience
- Project brief: An exploration of Jon Sanders triple circumnavigation of the globe.
- Watch Jon Sanders travel across the globe from space or zoom down to the ocean to..
- Datasets used: John Sanders Noon Summaries, Curtin University. Curtin JCPML Project Endeavor Website
- Methods/tools used: Unity 3D, HTC Vive
- Dropbox/Google drive/GitHub URL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Cj1gvKOpqma2N4QnVfTHdqSnc
Carol Igglesden & Fiona Logan (& Brenda as observer)
- Team name: Curious Sandgopers: down the rabbit hole
- Project brief: Creating the physical, making it digital (and back again)..Learning how to play in the digital space
- Datasets used: Sandpaintings inspired by the Curtin University Library Maker Space
- Methods/tools used: Omeka, Prism, 3d scanning
Thanks to all!
By Erik Champion