A software-developing peep.
APFS is not case-sensitive by default :(
File renamings that only touch capitalization aren't being tracked by git (e.g. myComponent.tsx to MyComponent.tsx)
Problem #1: Git
Capitalization doesn't matter in file path imports (but it matters on other OSes!).
Problem #2: Imports
// Both lines equally work on macOS! import Button from '../../components/button'; import Button from '../../components/Button';
- enforce case sensitivity via git config (ignorecase = false)
- this also affects e.g. .gitignore (hence we needed a fix to capitalize ".DS_Store" correctly)
Solution for Git
- reformat our disks to use case-sensitivity? 😃
- doesn't seem to be possible for system partitions… 😢
Solution for imports
- at least Webpack is smart enough to warn us about ambiguous import paths
Case Sensitivity on macOS
By Sebastian Herrmann