#feministinternet writer, words' weaver @ the queer intersection of transformative fantasy, tech, consent, privacy, ethics, revolution, pleasure & people.
the case of Kenya
IGF 2013 - Bali
Internet rights are Human rights (IRHR)
What is open data
The Open Definition sets out principles
that define “openness” in relation to data and content.
“A piece of data or content is open if anyone is free to use, reuse, and redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to attribute and/or share-alike.”
The open definition
The full Open Definition gives precise details:
Availability and Access
- Reuse and Redistribution
- Universal Participation
Source: Open Data Handbook
Open Data Initiative
Open Data Initiative has provided the first freedom of
information portal in sub-Saharan Africa
Open data portal's goal
“to make core government development, demographic, statistical and expenditure data available in a useful digital format for researchers, policymakers, ICT developers and the general public.”
- launched in 2011
- By mid-2012, more than 400 datasets
- Initially providing access online to :
- data from the 2009 national census
- data on public expenditure
- data on public services
some government departments are
resisting online publication of information.
The permanent secretary at the ministry
responsible for the portal has said:
“We are not getting data from organisations because they claim to own it, even those that have collected the data using taxpayers’ money.”
Available information on the platform
did not include material concerned
with internal policy discussions
Princeton University - Disseminating the power of information, Kenya Open Data Initiative 2011 -2012
Daily Nation - Kenya open data initiative has hit a dead end, says PS
AllAfrica, The Star - Kenya: Journalists Can Save Kenya Open Data Initiative
Questions for discussion
- Is open data sufficient for open government, or should online access be made available to a much wider range of public information?
- What should human rights organisations do to stimulate freedom of information, and how can they use it most effectively in their work?
- What limits should apply to freedom of information, in order to protect other rights such as privacy and security?
by hvale @froatosebe
credits: MULTIMEDIA TRAINING KIT
Group discussions and case studies: Freedom of
expression and freedom of information
Developed by: David Souter
open data - the case of Kenya
By hvale vale