#feministinternet writer, words' weaver @ the queer intersection of transformative fantasy, tech, consent, privacy, ethics, revolution, pleasure & people.
Sexist hate speech
distorted in the sexist mirror, gender binary and the patriarchy of the internet economy
it's political, it's not comfortable and you can take breaks
I do not pretend to represent or speak on behalf of womanity or on behalf of all diverse-self-defining-not-conforming individuals.
I acknowledge my privileges, and I acknowledge solidarity as a political practice of love and recognition.
a due feminist disclosure
The different degree of sexism
from the unpleasant to the aggression
women/feminists/activists have no sense of humor
the right to disagree and the freedom of using creative variation
of the F* word
Who are the intermediary of our Internet interactions and which responsibility they hold?
moneys moneys moneys
source: realtime accumulation of wealth
the big five
the term of use
The hosts say they are not responsible because they are just platform not media organizations, content is a responsibility of the user, still users are not shareholders of the platform
They give us algorithms of happiness, they frame our news-timelines, they mainstream binary as metadata!
- How established and independent our (country) institution are? The citizenry rights divide, old vs fragile democracies
- The slow pace of institution and the fast speed of the Internet
- The hierarchy of reaction as hierarchy of value (terrorists - suspension of rights/state of emergency vs safety from violence)
- Capitalism: the success of one via personal data of the many
- The ToS meaningless consent
- The false myth of empowering shared economy: exploited contractors without ownership and rights
- The technology hegemony: the internet of things and the extractive industry
the public/private world
There is a small world of users with 24/7 internet broadband access.
This small world is shaped by "the winning" western-white-male narrative.
The powerful of the small world shapes the bigger less connected or yet-to-be-connected world.
so what next, shall we have our force awaken?
what are we missing? how is in real life?
Informal cultural norms and exclusionary practices
what are feminist internet activists advocating for?
- Safe Space?
which feminism we speak and promote online
It's always about sex/sexuality
the dividing 'issues' of feminism
- Sex workers
- Trans person
Do we know the trollers, the perpetrators?
The evangelist of legalizing rape on private property
The bot's army
The YouTubers stars (role model / discourse settings)
but also the pre-teen and teen (new millennials)
Viber / WhatsApp chats room: perpetrator / victim
Girls violence on girls (the nasty females)
Is cool to be "badass" (subversive language?)
do we understand how the Internet work?
- Agency and Autonomy
Sex, Sexuality, Relationships
Agency & Autonomy
Anonymity and Privacy
Security and Surveillance
Intersectionality and cross movement building
Are privacy and anonimity desired rights?
principle of the internet
to reflect on sexism and sexist hate speech we need to work on the intersection of:
Internet rights, women rights, technology, privacy, sexual rights ...
The solidarity of the networked
boundaries are blur
there are no ready recipy
keep calm, stay self-centred, aware, connect on the ground as online and believe that you can make it
So why Ada Lovelace?
Because code is power and moderation should be based on an ethic of care
People current responses
civil society, informal groups, individuals/hacktivists
Counter narratives: alternative genealogy, language diversity,
Awareness, irony and solidarity (off line as much as online)
The peng! collective, #takebackthetech
Self-help for sexists in six simple steps
online attack against #TakeBacktheTech
On 9 October 2015, misogynists, trolls and a variety of people who associate with the #Gamergate hashtag decided to occupy and corrupt the #TakeBackTheTech and #ImagineAFeministInternet hashtags by posting thousands of anti-feminist and misogynistic tweets and memes
just remember that long time ago Anonymous where troll
Anonymous emerged out of an enormously popular and anonymous image board, 4chan. It was primarily associated with a phenomenon—trolling—known at times to unfold there. Trolling on 4chan often consists of an unpredictable combination of the following: telephone pranking, having many unpaid pizzas sent to the target's home, DDoSing, and most especially, splattering personal information, preferably humilating, all over the Internet.
- Playing Identities: fake, multiple, collective
- Blocking Block Together and Block Bot
- Swarming -creating communities of support
- Creating Bots against trolls
- Take control over technology
- Reviewing and renaming the representation of the own self (the personal bias)
- Exploring alternative spaces
Solidarity is a political act but is trans-formative if done with/for love
Sexist hate speech is a symptom not the cause / root
Censoring, filtering is the contemporary form of the old "taboo", hide do no cure
Investing in Coding - tech is not neutral
Moderation - user control
Language diversity - real access
Intersectional people governance of the internet
Sources and resources
- The feminist principle of the Internet
- Zen and the art of making tech working for you
- Best practice forum (BPF) on Online Abuse and gender-based violence against women
- Sarah Jeong - the garbage of the Internet
- GisWatch - Women's rights, gender and ICTs (2013); Sexual rights and the Internet (2015) reports
- and do not forget yourself, your network of friends, companions and allies
Sexist hate speech, distorted in the sexist mirror, gender binary and the patriarchy of the internet economy
By hvale vale