A Bit of Accessibility
What is it?
An Accessible App...
- Is usable by those with various disabilities
- Is usable w/out a pointing device
- Functions according to accepted conventions & standards
Why don't we do it?
- Too laborious
- Low priority
- High barrier-to-entry
Why should we do it?
- The "right" thing to do
- Benefits everyone
How do we do it?
Ongoing: Use HTML Correctly
- Use <a> and <button> where appropriate
- Wrap form fields in <label>
- Use <ul> and <ol> for lists
- Use <table> for tabular data
- <div> is not the only tag in the HTML spec
Step 1: Low-Hanging Fruit
- Fix your markup
- Run auditing tools like WAVE
- Use a screen reader (e.g. VoiceOver on OSX)
Step 2: Read
- Read MDN's accessibility section
- Try to read the spec - it's not too bad
- Follow experts on a11y on twitter
A Short Talk About Accessibility
By Ray Nicholus