With over 13 years of experience in the IT industry, Sajeetharan is a Cloud Solution Architect, an enthusiast in Cloud and Opensource.He currently works at Microsoft as a Senior Program Manager in the CosmosDB team
In a nutshell
Senior Product Manager Cosmosdb
GDE,MCT and former MVP
Top stackoverflow contributor
I'm Sajeetharan a.k.a Sajee
About this Session
👍A “Beginner session" and strictly not for Cloud experts
👍It won’t teach you everything, But it will help you learn what you need to know to get started
👍Be prepared to Unmute and ask questions
- Basics of Cloud Computing and Cloud Native
- Overview of Azure with Core services
So now we could rent hardware
Once upon a time!
But then internet arrived ... and virtualization
What the heck is "Cloud"
The Cloud Thing
Benefits of Cloud Computing
- Capital Expenditures ( CapEx)
- Operating Expenditures (OpEx)
Types of Cloud
Provider provides resources for various different users.
Public Cloud + Private Cloud
Private: processes critical activities
Public: supports non-critical activities, accommodates demand peaks
Serve a single company AND
Provider delivers services to internal users from company data centers
Think Of Pizza as a Service
Where to get Cloud?
1 Free year
200$ Credits, 30+ services
300$ Credits, 20+ services
Great place for devs/Cheap cost
What is Cloud Native
[ Cloud Friendly / Cloud Optimised ]
A cloud-native application is an application that has been designed to run on a Platform-as-a-Service and to embrace elastic scaling.
How to Design Cloud Native Apps?
- We need to understand distributed systems.
- We need to understand new technologies such as containers and functions.
- We need to understand what patterns to use when building cloud-native applications.
Key Components of Cloud Native (Remember the word CSK)
Top 3 lies by developer
It works on my machine
We have not changed anything
You're testing it wrong
What is Container?
- A fully self-contained “thing”
- Application source code
- All runtime dependencies, config files, and binaries
MAKES LIFE WITH CONTAINERS EASIER
- Kubernetes is a portable, extensible open-source platform for managing containerized workloads and services
- Environment to run applications on containers (Docker, but other engines are supported)
Though servers exist, the developer does not have to think about them.
Let's dive into Azure
The Azure menu of services can be overwhelming.
So many services that it would be difficult to get through them all in this session!
64 Azure Regions
More than AWS & Google Combined
Core Azure Services
Let me navigate to the Whiteboard
Important concepts to know
Region 1 - South East Asia
Region 2 - US west
Tips for Beginners
- Implement Spending Caps/Keep an eye on your bill
- Delete everything you don't need
- Least Privilege!! Take care to fully understand permissions and access
- Watch videos, follow tutorials, reach out!
- Have fun
- This stuff is really easy if you know what you are doing
Idea into Action
Idea: "Analyse How world is reacting to vaccination"
Let's built it on Azure
Where to go from here?
By Sajeetharan Sinnathurai