I'm the founder of https://organice.io, a collaboration platform based on Django technology, and co-founder of https://painless.software, a best-practice consultancy in software development. All presentation material is governed by CC BY-SA 4.0
The #excellence Journey
- Developer (of people, companies, code)
- past: Capgemini, HolidayCheck, DACHCOM
- @peterbittner, email@example.com
- Why Get Better? (Motivation)
- How Get Better? (The Journey)
Why Get Better?
Aren't we doing great?
We're Great, So What?
- We work on awesome solutions, customers are happy
- Meetings, briefings, four-eyes principle work fine
- Stress and overtime are part of the business
We've grown, and we cannot scale!
image from: http://gasolinelake.com/from-the-vault-bomb-1-5/
How Get Better?
How Can We Get Better?
- Structure. Transparency. Automation.
- More structure = more room for creativity
- 100% transparency = 100% efficient team work
- Automation + self service = no wait cycles
Where Will We Be Going? (Theory)
- Individuals and interactions (over processes and tools)
- Working solutions (over comprehensive documentation)
- Customer collaboration (over contract negotiation)
- Responding to change (over following a plan)
Where Will We Be Going? (Practice)
- The "right" meetings – for more transparency
- Retrospective (2h every 2 weeks)
- Daily standup (5' every day)
- Delivery review (every 2 weeks) with customer + team
- Everyone involved in estimation – for better quality
- Grooming + estimation meeting/s (every week)
- Planning meeting (every 2 weeks)
- No work without a ticket! – for self-service + motivation
- Planned items written down as tickets ("user story")
- Items ordered by priority, picked by employees themselves
- Items on a board (sticky notes) = progress visible
Questions & Answers
How do you feel about it?
- Product Backlog (IT). Grooming Meetings.
- Mitarbeiterumfrage. Retrospective Meetings.
- Schulung "Write Tests". Automatic Deployment.
- Tech Talks. Review Meetings. Code Review (IT).
- GL Jour Fixe #excellence
Results Q1 2015
- Wir kommunizieren mehr + strukturierter
- Projekte straffer (FE+BE integriert, Sprints, US)
- Techn. Vision erkennbar, Abläufe verbessert
- Neues Wissen (sehr fordernd), Vertrauen nötig
- Zeitproblem, um Retro-Themen umzusetzen
What has changed in IT?
- Schulungen "Test-driven Projects"
- Coaching "Write Test Specs"
- Begleitung 1. Projekt Progr. Tests
- Company Dashboard, Impl. Status
- Begleitung interdiszipl. Teams
- (KW 14+)
- (KW 15+)
- (KW 17+)
- (KW 19+)
- (KW 20+)
Results Q2 2015
- Stabilität von Anfang an
- Risiko minimiert, schon früher erkennbar
- Bessere Schätzgenauigkeit
- Grössere Ruhe durch mehr Transparenz
- Engere Zusammenarbeit
What has changed at Notch?
- Agile Fix-Price Projects
- More transparency + self-service
- (KW 23+)
- (KW 27+)
Besser, genauer, stabiler.
Weniger Risiko, mehr Möglichkeiten.
The #excellence Journey
By Peter Bittner